Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default $2,500 reasonable for chimney repair?

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

Thanks.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , wrote:

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

It depends on the chimney, but I got a quote to rebuild my entire chimney
using the existing bricks (about 20 feet high) for $4000 here in CA.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
In article , wrote:

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

It depends on the chimney, but I got a quote to rebuild my entire chimney
using the existing bricks (about 20 feet high) for $4000 here in CA.

Dimitri

And a lot depends on what "rebuilding" means, which could vary from one
quote to another, even with ethical contractors. It could be
anything from total tear down and rebuild to repointing. I'd make sure
there is clarity in the contract before signing.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
In article , wrote:

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

It depends on the chimney, but I got a quote to rebuild my entire chimney
using the existing bricks (about 20 feet high) for $4000 here in CA.

Dimitri

And a lot depends on what "rebuilding" means, which could vary from one
quote to another, even with ethical contractors. It could be
anything from total tear down and rebuild to repointing. I'd make sure
there is clarity in the contract before signing.

Well, rebuilding means rebuilding. Repointing means repointing. It my
case, it meant tearing the chimney down, cleaning the mortar off of the
bricks, and rebuilding it. For repointing, the quote was $750.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
In article , wrote:

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

It depends on the chimney, but I got a quote to rebuild my entire chimney
using the existing bricks (about 20 feet high) for $4000 here in CA.

Dimitri

And a lot depends on what "rebuilding" means, which could vary from one
quote to another, even with ethical contractors. It could be
anything from total tear down and rebuild to repointing. I'd make sure
there is clarity in the contract before signing.

Well, rebuilding means rebuilding. Repointing means repointing. It my
case, it meant tearing the chimney down, cleaning the mortar off of the
bricks, and rebuilding it. For repointing, the quote was $750.

Dimitri

My point was that "rebuilding", by itself, is not a clear term. But
I guess you'd rather let a judge decide that instead of having it
spelled out clearly upfront as to exactly the scope of the work and
materials involved.

Here are two contracts:

Rebuild chimney $XXXXX

Rebuild chimney $XXXXX to include:
Take down old chimney to foundation
Replace with new chimney using new grade NW brick and 8" clay liner
Replace all flashing and any roofing material as required to
complete job
Install new chimney cap
Cleanup and remove all debris

If something isn't done right, which contract would you rather be
holding?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

How about
-tear down 16 layers courses of chimney and rebuild
-pour new crown
-insert new top section of clay liners

On 10 Sep 2006 14:00:53 -0700, wrote:

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
In article , wrote:

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:38:48 GMT, someone wrote:

How about
-tear down 16 layers courses of chimney and rebuild
-pour new crown
-insert new top section of clay liners

And a lot would depend on how high up this is, how easy or hard is it
to get to, what is around it that there is risk of damage to, etc.

Like a chimney on the end of a shallow roof pich ranch, where they
could drive their trucks right up to that end of the house and not
have to go very high up, is a hole different kettle of chowder than a
chimney between the 2 and 3 story sections of a steep roofed colonial
where the snotty homeowner has all kinds of special planting and won't
let anyone drive on his lawn and is concerned with roof damage so the
scaffolding is fancy schmancy and etc. etc.

So WHAT ARE THE ESTIMATES FROM THE OTHER CONTRACTORS?
Tha will tell you if this one is high low or in the middle.