Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Good CO/Fire Alarm brand

Does anyone have the brand name of a particularly good CO/Fire Alarm
for a house? There seem to be a lot of Kidde detectors for sale. Are
they any good?
Thanks for your input.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ShellyS" writes:

Does anyone have the brand name of a particularly good CO/Fire Alarm
for a house? There seem to be a lot of Kidde detectors for sale. Are
they any good?

Here's my experience, for whatever it's worth: First alert battery
powered CO detectors in my experience suck. And my fire department in
my community pretty much agreed when they responded to teh falso co
alarm. They were rather enthusiastic in support of the Nighthawk brand
plug in co detectors.

A separate battery powered fire/smoke detector and a good nighthawk
plug in co detector has been working well for me.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 19 Jul 2006 13:24:11 -0700, ShellyS wrote:
Does anyone have the brand name of a particularly good CO/Fire Alarm
for a house? There seem to be a lot of Kidde detectors for sale. Are
they any good?

I can recommend that you stay *away* from Firex combo detectors.
We have a wired system, and have gone through three of them in the
past 18 months. After a while, they start going into an "error mode",
and the alarm goes off.

A few 3:00AM wakeups with every alarm in the house blaring gets
old, very fast.

Note that the smoke-detector-only Firex units work fine - it's
just the CO/Smoke ones that have caused us such grief.

- Rich