Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap ap is offline

Default gas range - 2 burners don't light up?

Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

This problem has been very annoying and we haven't gotten much
useful advice from the manufacturer.

THANKS a lot for any help!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" writes:

Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

Rule out the igniter by holding a preferably long-nosed lighter up to
the burner to light it the old fashioned way.

If it doesn't light quickly, look for what's plugging up the gas
line, or better still, call a professional service technician. Do you
have spider issues in your house? spiders love to build nests in
propane lines I know, dunno if thye have the same affinity for methane
or not. It can be a dangerous situation, so exercise caution and if
you're not confident, err on the side of getting a pro to service it.

Use that nose too--if you smell gas, extinguish all flame, air outthe
place, get out of there, etc.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/