Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Logic316

Default Problem tenant refuses to pay last month's rent

Hi folks! I hope I'm in the right group.

I own a two family house in Yonkers, New York. I have an abusive tenant who
I sent a warning letter to because of his distruptive behavior (loud drunken
fights with his girlfriend during which he pounds on the walls and slams
doors and has sometimes kicked her out of the apartment, makes rude and
hostile comments towards my mom, yells obscenities at my dog, and often used
my garden hose to wash his 2 trucks without my permission, things like
that). He sent me back a letter telling me he's giving me 30 days notice and
plans to move out at the end of the month. I'm glad this guy's moving out,
but he's refusing to pay his last month's rent. He told me I can just take
it out of his security deposit, but he's not supposed to do that. All my
previous tenants have always been agreeable and left without any problems,
and this seemed like a nice couple in the beginning, but after a few months
he started showing his true colors as a troublemaker. What are my options? I
took down his license plate numbers, but I don't know where he and his
girlfriend work, so I'm not sure what to do if they simply decide to trash
the apartment and run off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Donna

"Logic316" wrote in message
Hi folks! I hope I'm in the right group.

I own a two family house in Yonkers, New York. I have an abusive tenant

snip

He sent me back a letter telling me he's giving me 30 days notice and
plans to move out at the end of the month. I'm glad this guy's moving out,
but he's refusing to pay his last month's rent. He told me I can just take
it out of his security deposit, but he's not supposed to do that. All my
previous tenants have always been agreeable and left without any problems,
and this seemed like a nice couple in the beginning, but after a few
months he started showing his true colors as a troublemaker. What are my
options? I took down his license plate numbers, but I don't know where he
and his girlfriend work, so I'm not sure what to do if they simply decide
to trash the apartment and run off. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think your options are limited to recovery in (hopefully) Small Claims
Court.

Some thing to keep in a folder:

1) proof (in writing) that the tenant has given you a move out date.

2) Proof that you have informed him that the security deposit is not to be
used for rent (was this in your lease with him?)

3) Proof of the condition the property was in before you rented it to this
yahoo. (I digitally photograph my rental between tenants.)

Hopefully, he'll move out with minor or no damage. If there is damage, make
sure you have a SSN and work address so you can find him.

Good luck,

Donna

Posted to misc.consumers.house
D. Gerasimatos

In article . com,
wrote:

Take it fro his rent. Just let him go. In NY andNJ its hard to evict
so do yourself a favor and be rid of him!!!!

Yep. Be glad and move on!

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Logic316

"Seymour Bigby-Heinz" -stuff wrote in message
No offense, but you might want to reconsider being a landlord. You
really don't seem to have the right disposition for handling difficult
situations, and there are a lot of them in the landlord business.

That's worth thinking about and I might just consider letting my relatives
live in that apartment - I'd have to be more lenient with the rent, but
there would be less potential for trouble. Anyway, I'm confident that I've
so far handled this guy in a professional manner and will continue to do so.
I've always completely left my tenants alone unless they would cause some
kind of an unreasonable disturbance (which had never happened until this
redneck came along), and I have always fixed any maintenence problems they
reported in a timely manner. His girlfriend was always very civil towards
us, and I feel kind of sorry for her putting up with him and having to leave
because of him. But no matter how polite we were with him, his attitude
progressively got more and more hostile until he would glare and snap at us
and act like he has a major bug up his ass if we'd so much as say hi when
passing each other in the driveway, or when asking him to let us inside for
repairs. One time I was just working on my car in front of my garage, and I
heard him say to her while standing at the door to their apartment "Why the
**** does he have to do that there?", as if he owns the place or something.
Basically, it's like he treats me like an intruder on my own property. He
has some kind of personal issues that I'm sure have nothing to do with us,
but whatever, I'm glad he's going. We just need to learn from this
experience and screen our tenants a little better in the future. He's going
to be in for a big surprise, though, when he sees how difficult it will be
to find an apartment in Yonkers as cheap as ours ($950/month) that has both
private parking and free parking on the street available for both his
behemoth pickup truck and SUV, and another landlord that would allow him to
keep his dog without charging extra for it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Logic316

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

Take it fro his rent. Just let him go. In NY andNJ its hard to evict
so do yourself a favor and be rid of him!!!!

Yep. Be glad and move on!

Dimitri

I suppose as long as he doesn't do any damage to the apartment by the end of
the month, I can consider myself lucky. His girlfriend always seemed like a
reasonable person, and I have no doubt she was the one who's kept him from
trashing it already. Still, I'd like to do everything I can to make him pay
up the last month's rent and have the money from the security deposit to
hold onto just in case.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Donna

"Logic316" wrote in message
Still, I'd like to do everything I can to make him pay up the last month's
rent and have the money from the security deposit to hold onto just in
case.

Well, while we're making lists of what we want, I'd like a pony.

You're not going to get that. So go for the next best thing: Be glad
they're moving, and make sure that if they do do significant damage, you
have proof, and you can find them.

Good luck.

Donna

Posted to misc.consumers.house

There's no way you're going to get the money out of him in the next
month. Plus, if he doesn't leave significant damage or cleanup, then
the issue resolves itself.

You indicated you don't know where he or his wife works. That is poor
upfront management. Most landlords require that information before
signing a lease or allowing anyone to move in. A little upfront
checking can save trouble down the road.

If he does damage the place and it's significant, then you can take him
to small claims court, assuming you can find him. However, as others
have pointed out, you will be lucky if he does just leave. If he
decides to just stay and not pay, then you have big trouble.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Banty

In article , Logic316 says...

wrote:

Take it fro his rent. Just let him go. In NY andNJ its hard to evict
so do yourself a favor and be rid of him!!!!

Yep. Be glad and move on!

Dimitri

I suppose as long as he doesn't do any damage to the apartment by the end of
the month, I can consider myself lucky. His girlfriend always seemed like a
reasonable person, and I have no doubt she was the one who's kept him from
trashing it already. Still, I'd like to do everything I can to make him pay
up the last month's rent and have the money from the security deposit to
hold onto just in case.

The others are right, let this one go, and charge first + last month's rent +
security upfront to the next tenant like the rest of New York does. You've
learned your lesson.

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 02:09:58 -0400, someone wrote:

..,Still, I'd like to do everything I can to make him pay
up the last month's rent and have the money from the security deposit to
hold onto just in case.

Ha ha ha, what is "everything you can", you gonna tell on him? He
said he wouldn't pay. Basically he said up yours. So whadya gonna
do, whining about it here won't make him pay.

Actually, here's what I think is just as likely: End of the month
comes, he tells you he's changed his mind, he's not moving. (He's not
in for a 'big surprise', he knows damn well what compareble apartments
go for in the area.) Now he's still there and you have no security.
Whaddya gonna do NOW????

He has scoped you out as a toothless tiger. And you thought his USING
THE HOSE was a big deal? Ha!

Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Goldstar CNR-2994P Tuner problem Jerry G. Electronics Repair 4 June 21st 04 07:39 PM
Viewsonic Vertical Problem Scott Nielson Electronics Repair 6 May 15th 04 05:02 PM
C/H Problem - New pump solves it after 6 months! Richard Faulkner UK diy 11 December 24th 03 05:00 PM