Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default well pump on every minute causing large amount of sedimint in prefilter

The last week or so I've heard the pump running quite a bit throughout
the day/night. It appears I have a grey substance building up in the
prefilter in 1 day or so.. I mean it is a lot more then I've ever seen
in the two years I lived in the house.. Also if I may add, the water
system is only two years old.. Anyway I have never seen that much
sediment in such a short amount of time.

After seeing this I decided to do some tests for my self. I shut off
the valve between the prefilter and the pump so I could eliminate all
the equipment and focus on the well, Pump and pressure tank. After
doing this, it appears the pump continues to go on and off as it does
in heavy usage.. (I assume by eliminating the carbon/resin tanks by
turning off the valve, that I would not have any leaky faucets or
something to think about in this test)

Back to my tests, I listen closely to the pipes that come in from the
well to the pump and from the pump to the pressure tank.. I here quite
a lot of water traveling back and fourth it sounds and the pump kicks
on almost every minute and the pressure is reaching 45psi and drops
fast.

At this point I'm thinking maybe I have a leak underground after the
check valve to my pump and maybe it is picking up mud or something..
But the sediment that is found in the prefilter does not look like
dirt... more or less like a grayish powder looking.. I plan to put
another on/off valve between the pressure tank and the pump in the
morning to see if pressure drops between the pump and pressure tank.

So my questions a does anyone think this pressure tank could be the
problem I checked the valve on the top and only air came out... I
understand if water comes out then they may be bad? Or could the
problem be in the ground with a small crack in the pipe and dirt or
something is coming in

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Mike

Hot water pump makes large noise and then cuts out cheesey_toastie UK diy 3 May 3rd 05 09:16 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Need advice with rural water well pump design Gene Home Repair 20 December 2nd 03 02:58 PM
Well pump (Goulds) question Adam E Home Repair 3 July 20th 03 02:25 AM