cheesey_toastie

Default Hot water pump makes large noise and then cuts out

In seperate post 'Drained central heating, wont fill up again' I was
helped with my problem when I drained the central heating and couldnt
get it to refil due to a blockage from sludge in the header tank.

We now have water in teh system and yesterday the hot water and central
heating were both working again (minus the downstairs rads which dont
get hot due to the sludge).

However, inbetween the system being drained and flushing the blockage
we turned on the hot water system(for 40 mins). We I returned home I
found the pump was ratteling and making a noise.

Post the fix, it all seemed to work fine until this morning when the
pump started thumping and then finely screetching.

I've opened the valve on the front of the pump, not sure if there was
air there but black water did start flowing out. Now as soon as we turn
on either the heating or water the noise starts and hte pump cuts out
after 10 seconds.. have we dry run the pump and knackered it?

Ct

John Rumm

cheesey_toastie wrote:

Post the fix, it all seemed to work fine until this morning when the
pump started thumping and then finely screetching.

Do you know if the pump is turning? There is often a cap you can remove
from the face of it that will reveal a screw. With the heating off, you
should be able to turn this with a screwdriver (it turns the whole pump
by hand).

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 02 May 2005 15:55:43 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

cheesey_toastie wrote:

Post the fix, it all seemed to work fine until this morning when the
pump started thumping and then finely screetching.

Do you know if the pump is turning? There is often a cap you can remove
from the face of it that will reveal a screw. With the heating off, you
should be able to turn this with a screwdriver (it turns the whole pump
by hand).

Well, the rotor, anyway ;-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

cheesey_toastie wrote:

Post the fix, it all seemed to work fine until this morning when the
pump started thumping and then finely screetching.

Do you know if the pump is turning? There is often a cap you can remove
from the face of it that will reveal a screw. With the heating off, you
should be able to turn this with a screwdriver (it turns the whole pump
by hand).

Well, the rotor, anyway ;-)

Or rather, the shaft (if the ceramic shaft has cracked and the rotor is
no longer attached)

--
geoff