Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Ed

Default Ready made footings ?

Is there such a thing as a ready made footing ? I am going to be
putting in a deck, here in the north east the requirements are 3 foot
deep concrete footings for deck collums, I have mixed concrete before
and If I could get some ready made ones loaded on my truck and roll
them off where I can have the holes dug it would make life easier!

Thanks

Ed
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

Ed writes:
Is there such a thing as a ready made footing ? I am going to be
putting in a deck, here in the north east the requirements are 3 foot
deep concrete footings for deck collums, I have mixed concrete before
and If I could get some ready made ones loaded on my truck and roll
them off where I can have the holes dug it would make life easier!

I don't know, but I'm guessing the detracting issues might be:

prohibitively heavy to transport

no practical way to backfill around them with dirt tightly
enough to make them solid supporting structure without
shifting. Poured footing by definition will expand to fit
tightly in any hole.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Todd H. wrote:
Ed writes:
Is there such a thing as a ready made footing ? I am going to be
putting in a deck, here in the north east the requirements are 3 foot
deep concrete footings for deck collums, I have mixed concrete before
and If I could get some ready made ones loaded on my truck and roll
them off where I can have the holes dug it would make life easier!

I don't know, but I'm guessing the detracting issues might be:

prohibitively heavy to transport

no practical way to backfill around them with dirt tightly
enough to make them solid supporting structure without
shifting. Poured footing by definition will expand to fit
tightly in any hole.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

And don't forget trying to get a heavy concrete footing straight/level
after it's in a hole in the ground, while trying to backfill it
Concrete by comparison is easy to float off level. I've never seen it
done with prefab.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
James Rivet

Default PVC Was Ready made footings ?

A freind of mine showed me these footings for deck building that are
about about three feet long that are buried in the ground that four x
fours are attached to, He says they are up to code and schedule 40 pvc
has a enormous weight breaking point, Just wondering if anyone has a
opinion on them.
Thanks

Jim

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:04:40 GMT, Ed wrote:

I would be backfilling against a construction tube anyway wouldnt I ?
The ready made could be place on the truck bed and rolled off at
location.

On 29 Mar 2006 16:27:13 -0600, (Todd H.) wrote:

Ed writes:
Is there such a thing as a ready made footing ? I am going to be
putting in a deck, here in the north east the requirements are 3 foot
deep concrete footings for deck collums, I have mixed concrete before
and If I could get some ready made ones loaded on my truck and roll
them off where I can have the holes dug it would make life easier!

I don't know, but I'm guessing the detracting issues might be:

prohibitively heavy to transport

no practical way to backfill around them with dirt tightly
enough to make them solid supporting structure without
shifting. Poured footing by definition will expand to fit
tightly in any hole.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:04:40 GMT, someone wrote:

I would be backfilling against a construction tube anyway wouldnt I ?
The ready made could be place on the truck bed and rolled off at
location.

You may be lixing terminology here. The "footing" is the lowest part
that is in contact with the soil below. For a deck or whatever, you
come up from the footing with a pier. You traditionally pour the
footing to get a snug fit, the wet concrete fills the entire
horizontal area at the bottom of the hole.

Then you come up with the pier. It is commonplace for small deck
piers to be poured in one operation with the footing, often using a
belled (at the bottom) prefab form. But you don't have to have a
poured-in-one operation pier & footing. A pier can be concrete block
for example.

Also, you would not ordinarily backfill until after the top of the
pier is secured.

I'd think a concern with a precast FOOTING would be snugness to the
soil below. But if its is small, and also an application where a
little settling would be tolerable, yeah you could do it. But I think
you are making too much of the purported advantage, and maybe
underestimating the weight.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:49:59 GMT, someone wrote:

A freind of mine showed me these footings for deck building that are
about about three feet long that are buried in the ground that four x
fours are attached to, He says they are up to code and schedule 40 pvc
has a enormous weight breaking point, Just wondering if anyone has a
opinion on them.
Thanks

I still think you are confusing piers with footings. And now maybe
with forms.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"James Rivet" wrote in message
Well whatever you want to call these objects, basically you dig a hole
three feet in the ground stick them in the ground, they have a
connector attached to the top of them that stays above ground that a
four by four will connect to. ..
Are they ok to use ?

Maybe, maybe not- depends on the soil at your site 3 feet down, and your
tolerance for the deck settling. The most reliable way is a carefully dug
hole into undisturbed soil, a well-tamped bottom, and wet concrete into the
hole, with rebar to suit. Those plastic cone things+sonotube minize the
amount of concrete you need, and allow a monolithic pour in most cases. Any
precast thing you drop in the hole is going to settle some, since there is
air between it and the dirt. If you aren't on a hillside, and there is good
drainage, you may be fine. Even poured footers/piers can move around, but
they almost always do better than something you just stick in or on the
ground. My back deck is on precast piers, apparently just on dirt, with no
apparent settling. But my yard is flat, and well drained, so it hasn't been
a problem. If I bother to replace the worn-out deck before I move, it will
get proper footings. But if you really don't want to deal with wet concrete,
the precast things are better than putting the wood poles in the dirt, which
I still see done around here. (Outside city limits here, unless you can see
it from the street, they only inspect if you bother to pull a permit.)

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mad hatter®

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 17:13:12 GMT, James Rivet
wrote:

Wel whatever the case may be they are constructed of pvc schedule 40
and I am wondering on how kosher they are.

My mistake. In this case no skin friction essentially.... just
supported at bottom for vertical forces and on sides for horizontal
forces. Sorry for the mistake.