Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Ready made footings ?

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:04:40 GMT, someone wrote:

I would be backfilling against a construction tube anyway wouldnt I ?
The ready made could be place on the truck bed and rolled off at
location.

You may be lixing terminology here. The "footing" is the lowest part
that is in contact with the soil below. For a deck or whatever, you
come up from the footing with a pier. You traditionally pour the
footing to get a snug fit, the wet concrete fills the entire
horizontal area at the bottom of the hole.

Then you come up with the pier. It is commonplace for small deck
piers to be poured in one operation with the footing, often using a
belled (at the bottom) prefab form. But you don't have to have a
poured-in-one operation pier & footing. A pier can be concrete block
for example.

Also, you would not ordinarily backfill until after the top of the
pier is secured.

I'd think a concern with a precast FOOTING would be snugness to the
soil below. But if its is small, and also an application where a
little settling would be tolerable, yeah you could do it. But I think
you are making too much of the purported advantage, and maybe
underestimating the weight.