Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Simplicity Freedom upright vacuum any good?

Does any own one of these upright vacuums?

see link

http://tinyurl.com/jbery
Posted to misc.consumers.house
siskuwihane

wrote:
Does any own one of these upright vacuums?

see link

http://tinyurl.com/jbery

Hey me, it's me, the person who gave you that site. I don't own a
Simplicity, but in this months CR, they have the "biggest test ever" of
vacuums and the Simplicty upright vacuums are rated number one in the
"more repairs" catagory. Not good news I'm sure.

FWIW, In the ratings charts, they are also listed as "Riccar". The
Simplicity Freedom F3500 (Also known as a Riccar Supralite RSL3) came
in at number 8 in the ratings and retails for $350.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"siskuwihane" wrote:

wrote:
Does any own one of these upright vacuums?

see link

http://tinyurl.com/jbery

Hey me, it's me, the person who gave you that site. I don't own a
Simplicity, but in this months CR, they have the "biggest test ever" of
vacuums and the Simplicty upright vacuums are rated number one in the
"more repairs" catagory. Not good news I'm sure.

FWIW, In the ratings charts, they are also listed as "Riccar". The
Simplicity Freedom F3500 (Also known as a Riccar Supralite RSL3) came
in at number 8 in the ratings and retails for $350.

Hi how are you doing?

Well I did go look at the Simplicity units at local
dealer

They are what I want as far as being simple units with
no tools but I also saw the CR report you mention above
and was concerned they placed dead last in reliability.

have any idea what's up with that?

Also.... why are Riccar and Simplicity placed together?
Are they made by same manufacturer?

I'm on the verge of buying one but the CR ratings have
me a bit spooked. hence the recent post
Posted to misc.consumers.house
siskuwihane

wrote:
"siskuwihane" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I went and took another look at that chart and then checked the repair
history for some other items

The same issue of CR shows that 21% of Gateway desktop computer owners
report having needed repairs, that's the highest for desktop computers.
It also shows the desktop needing the least repairs is an Apple @ 11%.
So an 11% repair rate is listed as the best for a desktop computer and
the worst for an upright vacuum. After taking another look, I would say
that an 11% repair rate is acceptable and would not keep me from making
a purchase, 15% or more would make me look for something else.

Also.... why are Riccar and Simplicity placed together?
Are they made by same manufacturer?

As another poster said, same factory. Sort of like a Ford Taurus and a
Mercury Sable being almost the same car.

I'm on the verge of buying one but the CR ratings have
me a bit spooked. hence the recent post.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"siskuwihane" wrote:

I would say
that an 11% repair rate is acceptable and would not keep me from making
a purchase, 15% or more would make me look for something else.

OK

I wont give up on Simplicity then

I really do like the Simplicity design..... just
concerned abt that 11% repair rate
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

I really do like the Simplicity design..... just
concerned abt that 11% repair rate

I'm glad i found this thread. Our Hoover died this week, and I want
to replace it with something good...not another disposable vacuum.

We have two friends who own the Simplicity 7 Series.
They both rave about them, but they are also both very wealthy, and
they follow the "throw money at every problem" school of thought. As
in spending $15,000 for a lawnmower.

That's not us. We will spend money on the best if it's something that
we use often enough to make it worthwhile.

We went to look at the Simplicity, and they are nice. It's really
hard to tell how they differ from the dozens of other brands out
there.

Things I like:
Metal.
5-year warranty.
Ease of replacing virtually every part on the thing.

But...$700!

So we're also considering the Dyson DC14 All Floor for $429.
Feature-wise, it seems great. The Amazon reviews are mostly 5-star.
We have one friend who owns the DC07, and she absolutely loves it and
says she would buy it again in a heartbeat. She bought it when it
first came out, and has had no problems with it. (Not sure how many
years ago that was). My understanding is that the DC14 has some major
improvements over the DC07.

What concerns me about the Dyson is the 2-year warranty, which doesn't
show much confidence, and the fact that it's all plastic, which leads
me back to the 2-year warranty.

I've also heard that repairs are very expensive because the thing has
a million parts that have to be disassembled to work on it. Again,
this comes from a Simplicity salesman who doesn't sell Dyson, so I
take it with a grain of salt.

He also claims that what you save on bags you spend on expensive
filters that need to be replaced twice a year. But I don't see any
mention on Dyson's website about replacing filters, only the fact that
it has a WASHABLE "lifetime" filter that should be washed twice a
year.

Basically, there seems to be ALOT of first-hand info about Dysons, but
very little about the Simplicity.

We are willing to spend $700 if it is truly "the last vacuum we ever
need to buy." But is it?
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Intersting...I just noticed last month's CR magazine reviewed vaccums.
I find it odd that they publish a chart stating that Simplicity is
dead last in reliability, but don't test one or make ANY other mention
of them in their "exhaustive" review. I don't get them.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

" wrote:

Intersting...I just noticed last month's CR magazine reviewed vaccums.
I find it odd that they publish a chart stating that Simplicity is
dead last in reliability, but don't test one or make ANY other mention
of them in their "exhaustive" review. I don't get them.

I don't either

Weird huh?
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

" writes:
Intersting...I just noticed last month's CR magazine reviewed vaccums.
I find it odd that they publish a chart stating that Simplicity is
dead last in reliability, but don't test one or make ANY other mention
of them in their "exhaustive" review. I don't get them.

Look deeper. :-)

First, what models they purchase and test on a given cycle is not
necessarily the same as what their subscribers report on in the past
year for reliability issues.

Reliability data is drawn from their annual subscriber surveys.

That said, however, they did actually test the Riccar Supra Lite RSL3
that's also marketed as Simplicity Freedom F3500, and it was by far
the lightest vac in the top 10 (it placed 8th overall) and did very
well except for "fair" cleaning with tools and it appears to have been
one of the loudest vacuums they tested gathering a "poor" for noise.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

slightly OT - how to make a vacuum from an air supply Norm Dresner Metalworking 19 June 22nd 04 05:08 AM
Vacuum Clamping Errol Woodworking 8 March 18th 04 06:28 PM
How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 06:12 AM
vacuum attach for solid spindles Fred Holder Woodturning 1 July 9th 03 05:23 AM