Posted to misc.consumers.house
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Simplicity Freedom upright vacuum any good?

I really do like the Simplicity design..... just
concerned abt that 11% repair rate

I'm glad i found this thread. Our Hoover died this week, and I want
to replace it with something good...not another disposable vacuum.

We have two friends who own the Simplicity 7 Series.
They both rave about them, but they are also both very wealthy, and
they follow the "throw money at every problem" school of thought. As
in spending $15,000 for a lawnmower.

That's not us. We will spend money on the best if it's something that
we use often enough to make it worthwhile.

We went to look at the Simplicity, and they are nice. It's really
hard to tell how they differ from the dozens of other brands out
there.

Things I like:
Metal.
5-year warranty.
Ease of replacing virtually every part on the thing.

But...$700!

So we're also considering the Dyson DC14 All Floor for $429.
Feature-wise, it seems great. The Amazon reviews are mostly 5-star.
We have one friend who owns the DC07, and she absolutely loves it and
says she would buy it again in a heartbeat. She bought it when it
first came out, and has had no problems with it. (Not sure how many
years ago that was). My understanding is that the DC14 has some major
improvements over the DC07.

What concerns me about the Dyson is the 2-year warranty, which doesn't
show much confidence, and the fact that it's all plastic, which leads
me back to the 2-year warranty.

I've also heard that repairs are very expensive because the thing has
a million parts that have to be disassembled to work on it. Again,
this comes from a Simplicity salesman who doesn't sell Dyson, so I
take it with a grain of salt.

He also claims that what you save on bags you spend on expensive
filters that need to be replaced twice a year. But I don't see any
mention on Dyson's website about replacing filters, only the fact that
it has a WASHABLE "lifetime" filter that should be washed twice a
year.

Basically, there seems to be ALOT of first-hand info about Dysons, but
very little about the Simplicity.

We are willing to spend $700 if it is truly "the last vacuum we ever
need to buy." But is it?