Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mad hatter®

Default Choosing between Maytag or Whirlpool top loader

I'm using an 11 year old Maytag top loader (one repair to clean switch
contacts due to corrosion about 3 years ago) and its working fine but
I'm thinking of a replacement for it. It seems to me that the new
Maytags may have a slight better construction than the new Whirlpools
(based on reading on web sites not from seeing them) BUT a lot of
people in the past I think said to avoid Maytag and go for the
Whirlpool. I think I asked my repairman at the time of my Maytag
repair and he said Whirlpool (??) and he didn't like Maytags but can
you trust a repair man who makes a living doing repairs is the
question? He seems honest but thats my reason for asking here.
Regardless of what I think of the construction, I think experience is
what I prefer to go by so I'm asking for your advice here (hopefully
experiences too). My first priority in washing machines (top loading)
is reliability / durability and then convenience. And if it matters,
the washing machine is for home use in the Houston area (hard water).
Probably we do about 1 to 2 loads a day average mostly of clothes of
which half are probably small to medium size loads. And I'd probably
like to replace my old one with a top of the line (or near top of the
line) new one that has mechanical knobs / switches.

Second question which comes to my mind is does the delivery still do
the swap, takeaway old washing machine and install new one upon paying
for delivery? I believe I read on Sears website the answer is no and
if true, who does nowadays?

Last question which I think only I can answer but your thoughts are
welcome is whether I should even bother to replace this Maytag (I'd
have to say its been a good machine thus far) at this point or just
wait till it's down for a repair? I guess that's a matter of
judgement and money. Anyway my real need here is to get your advice /
experiences to the first and second questions.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bob

If the old machine is still running and it fits your needs, keep it
until it breaks. New machines may have some advantages:
- gentler on clothes
- more water and energy efficient
- more reliable in the short term

If your old Maytag is one with two drive belts and a spinning gearbox it
is likely to last until it corrodes with only some inexpensive repairs.

If you want or need a new top loader, consider Fisher and Paykel. It
uses a direct drive DC motor and is comparatively simple mechanically.
It's a fairly expensive top loader, but it's especially efficient and
may qualify for high efficiency rebates.

Many dealers offer delivery and haul away services for old machines for
a price. This is often negotiable, especially with independent dealers.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
mad hatter®

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:05:08 GMT, Bob wrote:

If the old machine is still running and it fits your needs, keep it
until it breaks. New machines may have some advantages:
- gentler on clothes
- more water and energy efficient
- more reliable in the short term

If your old Maytag is one with two drive belts and a spinning gearbox it
is likely to last until it corrodes with only some inexpensive repairs.

I'll have to consider what you say tho I need to check the internals
for my Maytag (model LAT8704).

thanks.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
mad hatter®

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:00:46 -0600, mad hatter® wrote:

LAT8704

make that " LAT8704AAE ".
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Maggie

My daughter likes hers (Maytag) Just make sure it is a European made
one lasts 2X as long