Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default mystery water leak?

Would like to get someone elses insight into our problem. Our one story
house is 20 years old and we recently noticed that we had some water
that made a small portion of the carpet wet in our family room (the
wall that this water was found by is shared with a bathroom
specifically a bathtub/shower behind it). We took out the baseboards
and cut away a portion of the carpet to see if we could find more water
anywhere. We see that there has been water/moisture there as the
baseboards looked water damaged and the carpet/padding and tack strips
were wet as well. There is no water leaking at this time or no water
appears when anyone takes a shower. We had the same area get wet once
before and this was due to our toliet overflowing. We are not sure
where this water is coming from the shower/tub area or possibly the
toliet. Does anyone have any experience that may help us before we cut
into the wall? Thank you

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Our house is on a slab foundation but we have plumbing pipes in the
attic. I have talked with some neighbors and believe that there are no
water pipes under the slab.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
EXT

Check your roof. I had a cracked shingle that leaked water into the attic.
It followed plumbing vent pipes all the way down to the basement where water
started to show up wetting some carpets. It took a while to get down there,
and only showed up a few hours after a bad rain storm.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

If your bathroom exhaust vent runs over that spot, that is probably
where the water is coming from. Warm moist air that is vented from the
bathroom during a shower cools as it passes through the attic. Water
condenses on the inside of the vent pipe, collects, and then drips out
at a low spot in the pipe. You can get insulated vent pipe that will
prevent this.

Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM