Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KOS

Default This End Up Furniture-Question

I have a couple sofas from This End up Furniture- bought it in the
early 80s. Looking to get rid of them- they are extremely heavy to
lift- I forgot, do they come appart? I've been looking but dont know..
Like I said, they weigh a ton

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a couple sofas from This End up Furniture- bought it in the
early 80s. Looking to get rid of them- they are extremely heavy to
lift- I forgot, do they come appart? I've been looking but dont know..
Like I said, they weigh a ton

Gotta hammer? :^)

No, but seriously- just look the thing over for boltheads. I can't swear to
it, but I think some of the larger pieces were lag-bolted together. I don't
think any were chinese-puzzle woodblock snap-aparts. This stuff was low-tech
cheap softwoods, and not much in the way of QC or fit'n'finish. Back when
they had stores, but I had no money, I coveted their stuff. Now I'm glad I
didn't buy any- I see it at garage sales once in a while, and it is always
rather sad looking. Fine hardwood cabinetry it ain't. And you are right- it
weighs a ton.

BTW- somebody bought the residue of the company after they went chapter 11 a
few years ago, and is trying to keep it going. They have a web page at
http://www.thisendup.com/ . There is a 'contact us' button. Mebbe they can
answer questions about a specific piece.

If you are just looking to dump them, post a sale ad as 'must pick up', or
contact a local charity that does pickup, if any still do that in your area.
Let the new owner worry about the heavy lifting, as long as they don't trash
your front door in the process.

aem sends....

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:45:20 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

"KOS" wrote in message
roups.com...
I have a couple sofas from This End up Furniture- bought it in the
early 80s. Looking to get rid of them- they are extremely heavy to
lift- I forgot, do they come appart? I've been looking but dont know..
Like I said, they weigh a ton

[deletia]
If you are just looking to dump them, post a sale ad as 'must pick up', or
contact a local charity that does pickup, if any still do that in your area.
Let the new owner worry about the heavy lifting, as long as they don't trash
your front door in the process.

Another option is to join your local Freecycle group:
www.freecycle.org as a way of relocating these treasures and keeping
them out of the landfill. I really recommend this as an alternative
to getting a charity to pick up the stuff.

Indonesian Furniture Chris Woodworking 0 January 23rd 06 07:26 PM
Furniture interior finishing sorta newbie question TIA No Woodworking 10 December 23rd 05 03:14 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Woodworm / furniture beetle infestation - what to do? Z UK diy 22 March 8th 04 10:39 PM
How Do You Stay On Track During A Project (to McQualude) charlieb Woodworking 5 July 14th 03 05:57 PM