Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Stephanie

Default Maytag Neptune Washing Machine

We purchased a Maytag Neptune washing machine in 1998; the last couple
of years we have had 3 service calls. Yesterday the repairman
mentioned the class action suit against Maytag over the washing
machine. He said we should have received a notice in the mail; we did
not. When we contacted Maytag we were told the deadline was Aug. 2005,
the washer is about to give out completely. Has anyone else run into
this and do we have any recourse at this date. Thanks for your help.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Robert Berry

On 13 Jan 2006 19:29:53 -0800, "Stephanie"
wrote:

We purchased a Maytag Neptune washing machine in 1998; the last couple
of years we have had 3 service calls. Yesterday the repairman
mentioned the class action suit against Maytag over the washing
machine. He said we should have received a notice in the mail; we did
not. When we contacted Maytag we were told the deadline was Aug. 2005,
the washer is about to give out completely. Has anyone else run into
this and do we have any recourse at this date. Thanks for your help.

I believe you've missed the deadlines. However you can still find
information at http://maytagfrontloadsettlement.com/.

I had the receipt from when I purchased the Neptune (kind of
surprising after 7 years) but the lawyers processing the class action
lawsuit claimed it was a fraud because the ink had faded. Like so
many class-action lawsuits, the only people who really benefit are the
lawyers.

The only claim is the "wax motor failure" which requires the entire
main circuit board to be replaced. If you had this failure, you would
be reimbursed the cost of the repair. If the failure hadn't happened
yet, Maytag would fix it for you. The new main circuit boards have
been re-designed so a failing wax motor doesn't fry the circuit board.

Even if you had followed all the steps, you would have received a
non-transferable voucher to cover the cost of the repair (mine was for
$315.) The voucher is only good if you buy a refrigerator,
dishwasher, washer, dryer, or free-standing range in the next two
years.

So unless you see yourself in the market for another Maytag appliance,
you didn't miss much.

HTH,
Bob