Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Metal Roofing Advice?

Do any home owners have recommendations?

I have been looking at metal roofing shingles for over 2 years now, and
I have to make a decision.

I live in Florida. I replaced my roof (myself) 20 years ago with
standard asphalt shingles. They have turned into junk and now I have to
re-shingle. Since I don't ever want to have to do this again, I am
looking at metal shingles, but am having trouble deciding. Due to deed
restrictions, I need to stick with shingles.

The top contenders are
stainless steel millennium tiles: http://www.millenniumtiles.com
stone coated steel: http://www.decra.com/shingle.htm
painted galvanized:
http://www.tamko.com/ProductDisplayP...lType/productD...
which are listed in decreasing price order.

The stainless look best from a theoretical standpoint, but appear to be
very labor intensive to install. They offer a Zalmag product which
would be less expensive and work very well too, but it has almost the
same installation disadvantages. In addition, both of these cost the
most and would really look the most unusual. The stone coated steel
look the most like regular (junk) asphalt shingles, but I think are
very pricey for a steel based product. There is a Gerard equivalent,
but it costs about the same. The Tamko product is the lowest cost metal
shingle, but it appears to be fairly thin and is only Kynar coated G-90
galvanized steel.

I am aware of other metal shingle manufacturers, but Follensbee is too
expensive and those aluminum shingles with exposed fasteners wouldn't
be workable in Florida.

To anyone having experience with metal roofing: Please post comments
that can help me decide what to do. Also, I would like to see
recommendations on where to buy these for the best price.

I would REALLY appreciate your informed comments about this topic.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Al Bundy

wrote:
[...]

Look at American Metal Roofs, Inc. for more ideas.

question jr Metalworking 17 August 30th 05 01:37 AM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Drilling metal control panel advice... Alan Kamrowski II Metalworking 14 October 25th 03 05:08 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM