Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default How necessary is septic tank pumping? Treatment?

I have a house that was built new in '88. I've never had the septic tank
pumped, never put any of these treatments in it. Never had any problems
with it to date. For the most part, after the ex vamoosed around '90, I've
been the sole user.

Is pumping the tank periodically necessary? Is there any benefit to using
any type of septic tank treatment? I was under the impression that the
bacteria that's in there is supposed to be self sustaining.

Thanks for all shared wisdom

Best regards,

http://www.bankarea.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Jonathan Kamens

writes:
Is pumping the tank periodically necessary?

Yes. See, e.g.:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/...ent/BD317.html
http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/tankpump.htm

The second URL above has a handy table showing how often you
have to pump based on the size of your tank and the number of
people living in the house. If you have a garbage disposal,
you need to pump more often.

Is there any benefit to using
any type of septic tank treatment?

Not if the tank is functioning properly. Such additives are
even illegal in some jurisdictions because they tend to be
used to postpone necessary pumping.

I found all this information quickly by going to www.ask.com
and searching for "Is septic tank pumping necessary?" Ain't
the Web grand?
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Harry K

It is critical. Your "haven't had any trouble" bit shows you are
lucky. When a septic tank does give trouble it is because it is full
up with solids, those solids are moving into the drain field. Once that
clogs you are in for replacing the field.
Jonathan gave a good site for reference

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 14 Dec 2005 08:52:00 -0800, someone wrote:

It is critical.....

It is necessary to have it done PERIODICALLY - but what period, that's
the Q! Especially for a one person household, that period is unlikely
to be once a year. We currently have 2 people full time and 2 people
part time, have a disposal, pump every two years and the pump guys say
everything looks good.

When we had 4 people full time and 3 people part time, we also pumped
it after 2 years but the pump guy reported back that the tank was
pretty heavy with deposits.

OTOH, those "treatments" are absolute BULL****.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Edward Reid

On 14 Dec 2005 08:52:00 -0800, Harry K wrote:

When a septic tank does give trouble it is because it is full
up with solids, those solids are moving into the drain field. Once that
clogs you are in for replacing the field.

This in fact is exactly what happened to us. Had a nice small septic tank
for two people. Didn't cause any trouble for twenty years. Then it start
bubbling up and backing up. New drain field time.

Edward

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Jonathan Kamens

Edward Reid writes:
This in fact is exactly what happened to us. Had a nice small septic tank
for two people. Didn't cause any trouble for twenty years. Then it start
bubbling up and backing up. New drain field time.

Did you have it pumped during that twenty years? How often?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

My suggestion is to create a separate cesspool for soap products (which
are usually what clog cesspools) and another pool for excrement. A good
designed pool system has a main pool for solid waste and over flow
pools for liquid. The soil around the pool is also important. Any
material that allows liquid to flow unimpeded is the best such as 1-3
inch stone or large granual sand.around the pool.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Alan Sung

wrote in message
oups.com...
My suggestion is to create a separate cesspool for soap products (which
are usually what clog cesspools) and another pool for excrement.

And how would the OP go about doing that? Seems that if you wanted what you
suggested, then the entire waste water system of the house would have to
take that into account and route gray water into an entirely different
septic system. The OP does not have a cesspool either, he/she has a septic
system and I think the most problematic substances are fats and oils, not
soap products.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA