Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mid787

Default replacement windows

Looking for vinyl clad replacement windows. Can anyone recommend a few
good brands and which brands to stay away from.

thank you in advance.

Todd H.

mid787 writes:
Looking for vinyl clad replacement windows. Can anyone recommend a few
good brands and which brands to stay away from.

I have Alside. I'd never heard of them prior to getting them. They
were installed by an experienced window pro, and I am very very happy
with them.

I also have a very nice Andersen Oak sliding door that I really
enjoy. But that name comes with one hell of a premium because of all
their marketing overhead. I lucked out and got one as a special
order return that happened to fit the opening I had.

Conventional wisdom is that installation counts for a lot on windows,
so you might first select who you'd like to do them, and then see what
windows that guy uses/recommends.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Chris Hill

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:14:42 -0400, mid787 wrote:

Looking for vinyl clad replacement windows. Can anyone recommend a few
good brands and which brands to stay away from.

thank you in advance.

Brand isn't all that important; a good installer will pick a brand he
trusts to install.

Gary Dyrkacz

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:14:42 -0400, mid787 wrote:

Looking for vinyl clad replacement windows. Can anyone recommend a few
good brands and which brands to stay away from.

thank you in advance.

We went with Pella and used one of their installers. Pellas are
expensive, but these were 2' x6' casements windows that we replaced.
Everything was measured correctly to the original openings, and the
installer seems to have done a good job. At least after two years no
leaks or problems. We also have some 13 year old Pellas and a Pella
sliding patio door. Except for one window binding on the sill they are
all still in good condition with no leaks.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Lucy

Whatever you do.. dont go with castle windows. Total nightmare experience.
too much to get into now, and just checking groups to kill time for a bit,
heading out soon.
email me and i'll answer with more details. dcncr at yahoo
lucy

"Gary Dyrkacz" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:14:42 -0400, mid787 wrote:

Looking for vinyl clad replacement windows. Can anyone recommend a few
good brands and which brands to stay away from.

thank you in advance.

We went with Pella and used one of their installers. Pellas are
expensive, but these were 2' x6' casements windows that we replaced.
Everything was measured correctly to the original openings, and the
installer seems to have done a good job. At least after two years no
leaks or problems. We also have some 13 year old Pellas and a Pella
sliding patio door. Except for one window binding on the sill they are
all still in good condition with no leaks.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/

Replacement Windows Matt Hoppes Home Repair 1 June 17th 06 07:17 AM
Installing AC in vinyl replacement windows chemqueries Home Repair 3 June 27th 05 02:48 PM
Question on replacement windows Dave Balderstone Home Ownership 2 August 18th 04 04:55 AM
Wicks replacement windows zaax UK diy 1 July 1st 04 05:49 PM
Where can I get replacement sashes for old wood double hung windows? The Chairman Home Repair 1 April 16th 04 11:44 AM