Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default An wild neighbor reaction to a concrete block fence!

We told our neighbor in writting that we were planning to put up a
fence. We had the property line sureveyed and posted stakes and a
delineation line. He inspected and passively approved when he did not
complain with 2 weeks.

His property is listed for sale at just under $1,000,000.00 and ours is
worth about $600,000.00. (FWIW)

After the footer was poured and inspected, we began to lay block. One
of his renters came out and asked us not to walk on his side of the
fence. Next, a chicken wire fence was put up by the owner(without
permit) to prevent aceess.

Her's the funny part. If we cannot get to the other side of the fence,
we cannot stucco it. Imagine trying to sell a property with an ugly
grey concrete block fence?

I called the county and they said that it was fine not to stucco the
other side.

This is the case of someone cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Gini

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

====
When we put our fences up, we made sure they were far enough in from our lot
line that we could
maintain them without going in our neighbor's yard. I thought everyone did
that.
====

Todd H.

writes:
We told our neighbor in writting that we were planning to put up a
fence. We had the property line sureveyed and posted stakes and a
delineation line. He inspected and passively approved when he did not
complain with 2 weeks.

His property is listed for sale at just under $1,000,000.00 and ours
is worth about $600,000.00. (FWIW)

After the footer was poured and inspected, we began to lay block. One
of his renters came out and asked us not to walk on his side of the
fence. Next, a chicken wire fence was put up by the owner(without
permit) to prevent aceess.

LOL.

Her's the funny part. If we cannot get to the other side of the
fence, we cannot stucco it. Imagine trying to sell a property with
an ugly grey concrete block fence?

Or an ugly chicken wire fence for that matter.

I called the county and they said that it was fine not to stucco the
other side.

This is the case of someone cutting off their nose to spite their
face.

No kiddin. For them to have that much in the way of assets and to be
that karma-poor to be that un-neighborly is really a shame. But, it
happens all the time. Trouble is, nearly half the people you meet
out there are below average. Sounds like you'll be doing your new
neighbors a favor by having a nice bargaining chip against the ahole,
and then assuming the new owner is nice, you can cheerfully chat them
up and finish the job to the new and hopefully nice neighbor's
benefit.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
John A. Weeks III

In article LEW2f.125$y05.33@trndny07, "Gini"
wrote:

When we put our fences up, we made sure they were far enough in from our lot
line that we could
maintain them without going in our neighbor's yard. I thought everyone did
that.

Intelligent people would think of that. The person in the original
story sounded like they were walking disasters.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Gini

wrote:

When we put our fences up, we made sure they were far enough in from our
lot
line that we could
maintain them without going in our neighbor's yard. I thought everyone
did
that.

Intelligent people would think of that. The person in the original
story sounded like they were walking disasters.

===
I think I got the idea from an elderly neighbor we had years ago when
renting. He always came over to
ask if he could put his ladder in our yard so he could clean his windows.
Now that was a close-in lot line!
===

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

KLS

wrote:

When we put our fences up, we made sure they were far enough in from our
lot
line that we could
maintain them without going in our neighbor's yard. I thought everyone
did
that.

Intelligent people would think of that. The person in the original
story sounded like they were walking disasters.

===
I think I got the idea from an elderly neighbor we had years ago when
renting. He always came over to
ask if he could put his ladder in our yard so he could clean his windows.
Now that was a close-in lot line!

Yes, indeed, not all of us have lots with enough space to allow for
moving our fences far enough in to work on the other side without
touching the neighbor's property. In fact, my garage prevents me from
doing so on one side of my lot. I'm a city dweller with a 50'x120'
lot, and communication/negotiation with the neighbors is a big part of
successful life here.

Sharon

In article IxZ2f.8449$AR1.6840@trndny09, "Gini" writes:
I think I got the idea from an elderly neighbor we had years ago when
renting. He always came over to
ask if he could put his ladder in our yard so he could clean his windows.
Now that was a close-in lot line!

I used to be married to a man in central California who owned a small
house in town in a neighborhood of "zero lot line" homes. His house was on a
curve, so the houses were slightly forward or backward from each other. His
back yard was bordered on one side by the neighbor's *house wall*. The
backyard of the house on his other side had HIS house wall as part of it's
fence. It's hard to describe and do it justice. Basically one side wall of
each house was built directly ON the property line. The backyard fences
therefore went from the corner of the other house, around and back to the
corner of your house.
Once I rhetorically asked my ex what would happen if an evil neighbor
decided to drill a hole in the wall. Like for peeping or just to be evil. He
had no answer of course.
I would NEVER buy such a house.

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

stone facing concrete block Beeper Home Repair 1 May 20th 05 05:21 PM
Waggly fence post in concrete block Bob Smith \(UK\) UK diy 4 January 10th 05 10:11 PM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help: Drilling through concrete block and hitting resistance! Mark Duncan UK diy 5 August 25th 03 01:51 PM
Concrete Fence Posts - setting out Rick Hughes UK diy 4 July 11th 03 08:45 PM