Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default property line dispute

Does anyoneknow how to find their property line iwthout a surveyor? We
bought a metal detector, however everything in our backyard seems to be
made of metal so it is really useless right about now. I have the
measurments, but i have no idea how to really find a starting point to
go buy. We have new neighbors who seem to think their propery is
ours.. but we have no way to prove it. help if you can.. please
-eric

Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
wrote:
Does anyoneknow how to find their property line iwthout a surveyor? We
bought a metal detector, however everything in our backyard seems to be
made of metal so it is really useless right about now. I have the
measurments, but i have no idea how to really find a starting point to
go buy. We have new neighbors who seem to think their propery is
ours.. but we have no way to prove it. help if you can.. please

Then hire a surveyor.

Kirby

wrote

Yeah that should only set them back about $4000.00

I recently had my property surveyed, it set me back 1/10th of that. My lot
is just a city lot 88'x178', but I can't see paying $4k unless you live in
an area that's really expensive, or possibly have hundreds of acres.

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:32:37 GMT, in misc.consumers.house "Kirby"
wrote:

wrote

Yeah that should only set them back about $4000.00

I recently had my property surveyed, it set me back 1/10th of that. My lot
is just a city lot 88'x178', but I can't see paying $4k unless you live in
an area that's really expensive, or possibly have hundreds of acres.

Two of my neighbors paid about that to have just 1/2 an acre surveyed on two
different occasions. This was in a really backwards and rural area.

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 17:53:03 -0600, in misc.consumers.house "Clark W. Griswold,
Jr." wrote:

For finer resolution, if the property marker posts have been removed, you need a
surveyor that will work from a permanent marker embdeed in the street or other
area.

Even if there are lot line markers, its not unusual for them to mysteriously
move...

Yes and the original survey can be wrong too.
Kirby

wrote
Does anyoneknow how to find their property line iwthout a surveyor? We
bought a metal detector, however everything in our backyard seems to be
made of metal so it is really useless right about now. I have the
measurments, but i have no idea how to really find a starting point to
go buy. We have new neighbors who seem to think their propery is
ours.. but we have no way to prove it. help if you can.. please
-eric

What makes you think they're not correct, if you don't have a clue where
your boundries are?

Maybe being neighborly, and asking them how they came to the conclusion of
where the boundary is, might be an excellent start.

Laonork

If they seam to be pretty sure of the property line and they are the
new owners, they might have the latest survey for there property. Be
nice and ask to see their survey. You just might own more property
than you think, and that's a good thing.

Bryan

Banty

In article , Kirby
says...

wrote

Yeah that should only set them back about $4000.00

I recently had my property surveyed, it set me back 1/10th of that. My lot
is just a city lot 88'x178', but I can't see paying $4k unless you live in
an area that's really expensive, or possibly have hundreds of acres.

The last surveying job I heard about here in upstate New York was about $800.

I'd survey. If there is an issue, or to avoid future issues, best to determine
the boundary line for certain.

Banty

You have been given some good replies. Here's another on how to do it
yourself:
If, between properties, at the street there is something like an
electric box or telephone box or something similar that belongs to the
government or utility, it is common the object is place exactly between
properties, with the center of the back of the box being a foot or less
outside the corner boundry.
If, between properties, at the back, there are already fences for the
homes behind you and beside you, it is likely the intersection of those
is very close to the corner boundry. If there is just one fence for
one house, it is likely the corner of that fence is just inside the
corner boundry.
Of course, you could have what I used to: a telephone box three feet
from a cable box in the front. Or the guy who put up the fence behind
you may not have gotten the corner right. But, unless you and your
neighbor are fighting over literally one or two feet, you probably
won't be far off.

Bill

Like below, I went to my county "Assessors Office" and got a map which
contained my and my neighbors property lines as well as measurements of the
lots.

Then I got a long tape measure, 150 ft. or whatever, and just started
measuring. The key was finding out where my property line started at the
city street. Also having a corner lot next to my lot and another city street
there.

Then everything needs to add up. 100 ft. this way for this lot, 50 ft.
further to the city street, etc.

Doing this, I was able to find the survey markers. My measurements were
within inches, so not too bad. Then I put up level poles and used line of
sight between the survey markers to find points along the line.

This is good enough for fence building, but would not be acceptable for
building a new house or whatever. I think you need to get a new survey done
for any building ?

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message

You start with your city/county property office and obtain a plat of the

area
you live in. Many municipalities have this online now. That will give you

rough idea of the property boundaries, including distances from landmarks

and
other features that should give you an close approximation of the

boundary.

For finer resolution, if the property marker posts have been removed, you

need a
surveyor that will work from a permanent marker embdeed in the street or

other
area.

Even if there are lot line markers, its not unusual for them to

mysteriously
move...

Steve Pope

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

You start with your city/county property office and obtain
a plat of the area you live in. Many municipalities have this
online now. That will give you a rough idea of the property
boundaries, including distances from landmarks and other features
that should give you an close approximation of the boundary.

Yes, when faced with this situation I was able to go to the
city and examine maps called sewer sheets. On these, the
distance from the sewer plug (near the sidwalk in our case)
to the where the property line intersects the street is marked.
So this will tell you where you property lines with your
next-door neighbors are, within a few inches, at the front
of your property. Also marked on this map is the angle
at which the property lines intersect the street (in my case,
81 degrees). From this you can extrapolate where the
property line heads as you go towards the back of the property.

However, if the properties are decades old the defacto boundary
as determined by usage may have more legal significance than
the surveyed boundary anyway.

Steve

TKM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyoneknow how to find their property line iwthout a surveyor? We
bought a metal detector, however everything in our backyard seems to be
made of metal so it is really useless right about now. I have the
measurments, but i have no idea how to really find a starting point to
go buy. We have new neighbors who seem to think their propery is
ours.. but we have no way to prove it. help if you can.. please
-eric

Why would your neighbor take your word or your measurement that the line is
wrong? At best, it might raise a question; but how do you resolve the
question? Surely, at some point you'll need an authoritative answer from a
city/county official or from a survey that both you and the neighbor agree
upon -- and pay for.

TKM

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:36:39 GMT, someone wrote:

....We have new neighbors who seem to think their propery is
ours..

Hmm, they think their is yours? Doesn't seem to be a problem
there....

....Surely, at some point you'll need an authoritative answer from a
city/county official or from a survey...

The survey part is right - but what city/county oficial do you
actually think is going to referee a boundary dispute between two
private land owners? Do you really think a city/county official comes
out and declares a property line for people? Now, if you were to try
and claim some city/county land, it would be different. But a line
between two owners? Nah.

The city/county just levies taxes on what they THINK is the property,
this doesn't prove anything, and it is up to the owners to come
forward if they claim there is a mistake.

[...]

Wow, what great advice. The property boundery might be where the
utility chose to put a box. Or it might be where someone erected a
fence. But then again it might not, but you "probably" won't be far
off. Are you for real?

A surveyor for a typical house lot in a developed area will charge $500
bucks or so to come out and mark the corners. That way you will know
for sure. Other than that, you're just guessing. If there is
disagreement with a neigbor, as somone already suggested, I would ask
them if they have a survey or had the property marked recently. If
not, perhaps you could get both properties done for a better deal,
since part of the work overlaps.

TKM

"v" wrote in message
[...]

No, I don't think any government officials settle boundary disputes; but
around here they do know where the property pins are and they've even cast
property line markers in the concrete curbs along the streets to make lot
lines easier to find.

TKM

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:28:46 GMT, someone wrote:

No, I don't think any government officials settle boundary disputes; but
around here they do know where the property pins are and they've even cast
property line markers in the concrete curbs along the streets to make lot
lines easier to find.

Around here, I doubt very much that any government officials have any
idea where any pins are. The piece behind me was just surveyed, and
the lot line moved about 600 feet from where the tax map had it.
Seems they credited my neighbor with all of the North half of two
Colonial Lots whereas actually he all of one, and only 6 rods of he
next, the rest should have always been someone else but the mistake
has been on the Assessor's records for years (and no, the mistake did
NOT confer ownership, paying taxes to the government didn't take away
the rights of the true owner).

We don't have curbs here. Does the 'City' actually put yours in, or
is it their contractor, or is it the developer if its in a recent
subdivision? (Or, more specifically, who puts in those markers?)

Perhaps you live in a recently developed area where the City has only
recently been involved with approving and inspecting new developments,
and they have required that the new lots be clearly marked. It is not
like that where I live, and I don't know if it is or isn't where OP
lives.

TKM

"v" wrote in message
[...]

You are likely correct about the developer putting in the property markers.
The properties in that area were developed about 1956 and I don't see the
markers in more recently-developed areas.

The city Building Dept. is perhaps more competent and helpful than most.
They do know where the property lines are and they seem to have up-to-date
property maps. I can state from personal experience that they carefully
checked the placement of my new house which had to be slightly skewed on the
lot to meet zoning requirements and was within 4 inches of not meeting
those requirements. It's an old city -- 100+ years with few new
developments.

But my point to the OP was simply that the city or country may be of help
and it's worth asking. However, to get the job done with enough authority
for agreement between the OP and the neighbor requires a professional
surveyor; it's not a DIY project.

TKM

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Phone Line Problem - Plea barry martin Home Repair 1 July 3rd 04 03:09 PM
Telephone Line Problems barry martin Home Repair 1 March 7th 04 03:00 AM
Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4 Mike Mitchell UK diy 381 January 12th 04 12:45 PM
NH property value assessed HOW? no1herenow Home Ownership 7 July 3rd 03 03:13 PM