Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jonathan Grobe

Default Installing air heat pump/AC yourself?

Anyone done this? Any problems?

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Todd H.

Jonathan Grobe writes:
Anyone done this? Any problems?

I haven't.

But I am under the impression that the need to be licensed in order to
get the refrigerant (?), I believe is what steers most DIYers away
from this task?

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
User Example

Jonathan Grobe wrote:
Anyone done this? Any problems?

You can do it all except hook up the freon lines. I just installed a
mini-split system and had an A/C guy evacuate and hook up the lines for $75.
Jonathan Grobe

On 2005-09-19, Jonathan Grobe wrote:
Anyone done this? Any problems?

Actually I am looking at the small units which go
through the wall in a sleeve (42 inches wide, 16 inches high,
20 inches deep), 14,000 BTU 230 volts. There is need to add
refrigerant to these is there? The problems
look like cutting the hole in the wall and hooking up
the electricity.
Any experience with these (apparently popular for motel
rooms, that kind of thing)?

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:
http://www.grobebooks.com

Dr. Hardcrab

On 2005-09-19, Jonathan Grobe wrote:
Anyone done this? Any problems?

Actually I am looking at the small units which go
through the wall in a sleeve (42 inches wide, 16 inches high,
20 inches deep), 14,000 BTU 230 volts. There is need to add
refrigerant to these is there? The problems
look like cutting the hole in the wall and hooking up
the electricity.
Any experience with these (apparently popular for motel
rooms, that kind of thing)?

Through-the-wall??

You do not need a license to install that....to a point:

You need to make sure you aren't cutting through any electric or plumming
that may be behind the wall (where you are cutting the hole). You have to
make sure you "shore up" the studs (in the wall) that you are cutting to
make the hole. THEN you need to run electric to the unit, which you DO need
to have someone with a license to do.

Not making it up, but I just installed one yesterday at a friends house. I
framed out the hole that I cut and put 'J' channel around it (on the outide
to make the vinyl siding look better) and framed the unit (on the inside to
make IT look better). It is all ready to go except for the electricity. I
could have run the electric. It's not that hard to run the proper wire and
install a breaker, but I am not a licensed electrician so my friend will be
calling in someone that is licensed to finish it off.

Is it hard? No. But you do have to take precautions so you don't end up
causing more work for someone else to fix.....

Greg O

On 2005-09-19, Jonathan Grobe wrote:
Anyone done this? Any problems?

Actually I am looking at the small units which go
through the wall in a sleeve (42 inches wide, 16 inches high,
20 inches deep), 14,000 BTU 230 volts. There is need to add
refrigerant to these is there? The problems
look like cutting the hole in the wall and hooking up
the electricity.
Any experience with these (apparently popular for motel
rooms, that kind of thing)?

They are very similar to a standard window unit.
Cut a hole in the wall, frame/finish the hole, slap in the wall sleeve,
shove in the unit and plug it in.
You may need an electrician to install a circuit for it.
Greg

briz

Todd H. wrote:
Jonathan Grobe writes:
Anyone done this? Any problems?

I haven't.

But I am under the impression that the need to be licensed in order to
get the refrigerant (?), I believe is what steers most DIYers away
from this task?

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.

Todd, I am a professional A/C installer. Yes you can do the work
yourself with the excption of the copper line set and the refer
charging. Anyone with basic skills and common sence should be able to
get it done. There are alot of variables installing all the ductwork
for a central system. You will need to be EPA cert. to buy the
equipment It comes precharged with freon. It is a big job. If you can
getaway with a wall unit,That might be the simplest amd easyest way for
you to go. any questions feel free to email me. Steve

The professional A/C installer said it best. Mount and wire
everything, then have a pro do the copper lines and freon stuff and
startup.

Stormin Mormon

I've been installing central AC for a friend of mine, for about the last
five years. As a part time job. There is a lot more to the job than you'd
think.

As others have mentioned, need a license to insert or remove refrigerant.
I've invested a pile of money into equipment, which you'd also have to
purchase.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.