Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

fbloogyudsr

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote
One car, yes. I have a narrow two car garage and its easier to get the
drivers door open if it swings toward the center of the garage.

I'm curious: anyone have a two-car garage that they back one
car into, and front-end the other so that the driver doors are in
the center? This gives more room for the doors to swing open
and eases (at least for the driver) entry/exit. I do this sometimes
in crowded parking lots/garages when spaces are limited (or
some a$%^&* has taken more than his share - of course I'm
equally likely to park right next to them and block their door).

Floyd
Curtis CCR

Kevin Spencer wrote:
I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
another vehicle.

I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
unusual?

Probably a bit unusual, but there is nothing generally wrong with it.

My wife used to back into our driveway so that the driver's side door
would be on the center of the drive. It was narrow enough that people
getting out on one side would have to step on the lawn - she didn't
like stepping on the lawn in her work shoes (heels, etc). Since the
drive faced south, backing in kept the sun from beating in on the
through the back window and cooking our kid's car seat. She kept a sun
shade in the front window. We have recently moved, and I sold my boat,
so she has room to park in the garage now.

My company has a policy telling anyone driving a company vehicle to use
what they call "planned parking." Part of that is, when possible, to
park in such a way that backing will not be required when arriving or
leaving. When backing cannot be avoided, we recommend that it be done
on arrival, not departure. The idea is that when you back into a
paking space, you can usually visually clear it from the drivers seat
before parking when you arrive. And when leaving, it is easier to see
traffic hazards you may be pulling into when going foward rather than
backing.

Skip Elliott Bowman

"fbloogyudsr" wrote in message
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote
One car, yes. I have a narrow two car garage and its easier to get the
drivers door open if it swings toward the center of the garage.

I'm curious: anyone have a two-car garage that they back one
car into, and front-end the other so that the driver doors are in
the center? This gives more room for the doors to swing open
and eases (at least for the driver) entry/exit. I do this sometimes
in crowded parking lots/garages when spaces are limited (or
some a$%^&* has taken more than his share - of course I'm
equally likely to park right next to them and block their door).

Same here. In my two car garage, I pull in and the wife backs in. This
leaves the tailgate of my SUV accessible for loading/unloading. we've
gotten pretty good at hugging the garage walls.

SlipperySlope

Kevin Spencer wrote:

I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
another vehicle.

I back into my driveway and garage(s) exclusively. When I'm ready to
enter the VERY BUSY street I live on, I simply look left and right and
then let out the clutch and go when clear. If I try to back out of the
spot, it's like a roll of the dice cause I don't have a overall clear
field of observation of coming cars when I'm looking over my shoulders.

When I visit my parents, I back into their long driveway. Same thing as
above, my field of observation via peering over the shoulder is much
more limited than looking ahead when driving the car straight out of
their driveway. In fact, some years ago, after bringing the parents car
into the driveway via reversing it into the driveway, my parents, after
years and years of driving front-end-first into their driveway, so liked
driving straight out of the driveway cause I had made it possible by
backing their car into their driveway, that they now EXCLUSIVELY back
their car into the driveway.

When in parking lots I back into the parking spot (well except for the
angled spots which are clearly made for front-end-first parking). No
worrying about cars approaching as I try to back out.

I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
unusual?

Kevin Spencer

Robert Morien

In article , SlipperySlope
wrote:

Kevin Spencer wrote:

[...]

wow, but that's a horrible pet peeve

I front in *AND* front out of my driveway! All you need is a circular
driveway.

DTJ

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:23:41 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"
wrote:

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote
One car, yes. I have a narrow two car garage and its easier to get the
drivers door open if it swings toward the center of the garage.

I'm curious: anyone have a two-car garage that they back one
car into, and front-end the other so that the driver doors are in

Yes.

It allows me to park both vehicles towards the outside, leaving a
larger center area to open the doors.

Ed Stasiak

Dennis M wrote

A larger city close to me is now trying to pass a law
preventing people from keeping their tarp-covered boats
parked in their front yards, claiming it's too much of
an eyesore. Usually, the only ones doing this are those
who don't have the option of storing it behind their
house or in a garage.

That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
go to a storage facility.

This is to prevent people from parking their gigantic
yacht or humongous camper in their driveway or backyard
364 days a year, making the neighborhood look like a
storage lot.

Of course if you're on good terms with your neighbors
and your boat/camper isn't that big, you can get away
with it.

The Real Bev

Ed Stasiak wrote:

Dennis M wrote

A larger city close to me is now trying to pass a law
preventing people from keeping their tarp-covered boats
parked in their front yards, claiming it's too much of
an eyesore. Usually, the only ones doing this are those
who don't have the option of storing it behind their
house or in a garage.

That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
go to a storage facility.

Rotten place to live. A man's motorhome ought to be his castle.

This is to prevent people from parking their gigantic
yacht or humongous camper in their driveway or backyard
364 days a year, making the neighborhood look like a
storage lot.

The city here thought it would be a good idea to pass such an ordinance. Then
the community explained in no undertain terms that (a) there were no suitable
storage facilities within 30 miles; (b) people who paid $100K for a
motorhome were not going to roll over for such a silly rule, especially since
most homes were not designed with storage for a 34-foot motorhome in mind;
(c) most of the people with such vehicles were well-to-do, articulate and
politically active; (d) There were a lot more large-vehicle owners than there
were city councildroids; and (e) one of the councildroids himself owned such
a vehicle.

Of course if you're on good terms with your neighbors
and your boat/camper isn't that big, you can get away
with it.

We should NOT have to depend on the kindness of our neighbors to not tattle
when we violate some rule that should never have been made. Selective
enforcement is improper in a free society.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
Bob Ward

On 15 Jul 2005 16:43:21 -0700, wrote:

I front in *AND* front out of my driveway! All you need is a circular
driveway.

Actually, a half-circle will suffice.

G Henslee

Kevin Spencer wrote:
I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I find
myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, or am I
unusual?

Kevin Spencer

You must lead an exciting life. And no doubt back into other things as
well. Thanks for sharing...
G Henslee

Ed Stasiak wrote:
Dennis M wrote

A larger city close to me is now trying to pass a law
preventing people from keeping their tarp-covered boats
parked in their front yards, claiming it's too much of
an eyesore. Usually, the only ones doing this are those
who don't have the option of storing it behind their
house or in a garage.

That's not uncommon im many cities nationwide anymore. Some cities
allow so many hours a month that the boat or RV can be parked on the
property.
G Henslee

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Kevin Spencer wrote:

I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently moved into a
house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and I have never had my own
driveway before this move. I find myself always backing into the
driveway now when I park, so when it's time for me to go anywhere, I can
pull out forward, and I won't have to worry about backing into a small
child or another vehicle.

Yours is a smarter and safer way to use a home driveway than the more
common method of nosing in and backing out, and for exactly the reason you
state.

Many people would be surprised to know that some cities have ordinances
prohibiting backing a car out of a driveway onto a major thoroughfare.
People who live on busy main streets will quite often have circle drives
or turn-around areas that they can pull into and back up to the house
just enough to get facing forward to exit the driveway.
Ed Stasiak

The Real Bev wrote
Ed Stasiak wrote

That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
go to a storage facility.

Rotten place to live.

Not at all, it keeps the city from looking like a storage
lot.

A man's motorhome ought to be his castle.

But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

It's the equivalent of putting a car up on cinder blocks
like a hillbilly, it's an eye-sore.

This is to prevent people from parking their gigantic
yacht or humongous camper in their driveway or backyard
364 days a year, making the neighborhood look like a
storage lot.

The city here thought it would be a good idea to pass such
an ordinance. Then the community explained in no undertain
terms that (a) there were no suitable storage facilities
within 30 miles;

If you can tow that boat/camper 200+ miles when you're going
on vacation, you can tow it 30 miles to the storage lot.

(b) people who paid $100K for a motorhome were not going
to roll over for such a silly rule, especially since most
homes were not designed with storage for a 34-foot motorhome
in mind;

And people who paid 2-3x that much for their home don't
want to look out their window day after day and see your
camper/boat parked behind your garage, (out of sight for
you but right in my line of sight) wrapped in tarps with
knee high grass growing around it and varmints raising
babies underneath it.

(c) most of the people with such vehicles were well-to-do,
articulate and politically active;

If they can afford a camper/boat that is too large to fit
in their garage, (or build a pole-barn to store it) they
can afford to keep it at a storage lot during the off season.

My friends father-in-law has a 23' boat that when it isn't
at the marina during the summer months, is stored at a lot
a few miles away for $35 a month.

If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

(d) There were a lot more large-vehicle owners than there
were city councildroids;

But the city council exists to serve the entire community,
(the majority of whom do not own huge boats/campers) not
just a few camper/boat owners who are too cheep to store
their toys in a storage lot during the off season.

(e) one of the councildroids himself owned such a vehicle.

See above.

Of course if you're on good terms with your neighbors
and your boat/camper isn't that big, you can get away
with it.

We should NOT have to depend on the kindness of our
neighbors to not tattle when we violate some rule that
should never have been made.

The ordnance was passed because even if it's a brand-new
boat or camper, it's an eye-sore when it's sitting there
all year long and of course there are those who would fill
their yard with broken-down cars, boats, campers, ect.
simply because they are junk collectors.

But why should I have my property value go down along with
my quality of life, because you want to store a behemoth
motorhome or the Love Boat in your backyard or driveway?

Selective enforcement is improper in a free society.

The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

But during the summer when people are regularly boating
or camping, most people just leave their toys in the
driveway all season long so they can easily move in and
out and nobody complains about it.

It's only during the off-season that one can't store
a boat or camper in the driveway or backyard and in the
northern 'burbs of Detroit, where many people have 1-2+
acre lots, this rule is almost never enforced.

And even here in a heavily urbanized city, I see many
people getting away with storing pop-up campers or
smaller boats all year long in their backyards (usually
on a cement pad tucked away behind the garage).

I stored my friends pop-up camper on my driveway (in
the back yard) all last winter and none of my neighbors
had a problem with it, but then I don't get in feuds
with them.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/16/05 12:33 pm Ed Stasiak tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

My friends father-in-law has a 23' boat that when it isn't
at the marina during the summer months, is stored at a lot
a few miles away for $35 a month.

If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

That would undoubtedly be a violation. But supposing it doesn't block
the sidewalk?

Selective enforcement is improper in a free society.

The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

I don't think that can be a general rule in MI, because the township
code here (Holland Twp.) requires provision of only two parking *spaces*
for each residence. I didn't see anything to suggest that those spaces
must be enclosed. I deduce that one may park two (or even more) vehicles
in one's driveway. Our neighbors across the street have regularly had
four or more vehicles parked in their driveway, their triple garage
being full of other stuff. Many other neighbors have boats parked in
their driveways or alongside their houses, some all year round. No problem.

But during the summer when people are regularly boating
or camping, most people just leave their toys in the
driveway all season long so they can easily move in and
out and nobody complains about it.

It's only during the off-season that one can't store
a boat or camper in the driveway or backyard and in the
northern 'burbs of Detroit, where many people have 1-2+
acre lots, this rule is almost never enforced.

And even here in a heavily urbanized city, I see many
people getting away with storing pop-up campers or
smaller boats all year long in their backyards (usually
on a cement pad tucked away behind the garage).

I stored my friends pop-up camper on my driveway (in
the back yard) all last winter and none of my neighbors
had a problem with it, but then I don't get in feuds
with them.

Perce

Wordsmith

You are unusually conscientious in looking out for kids and other
vehicles.
Lead on, sir.

W : )

Larry Bud

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Larry Bud" wrote:

Why doesn't he have to worry about backing into a child when parking
the car?

Perhaps neither he nor his neighbors have children...

Then the original argument of worrying about backing into a child when
pulling out doesn't apply either.

Ed Stasiak

Percival P. Cassidy wrote
Ed Stasiak wrote

If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

That would undoubtedly be a violation. But supposing
it doesn't block the sidewalk?

Legally you can only keep a boat, camper, broken down car,
ect in your driveway or backyard for 4 days but the SOP seems
to be to keep the boat/camper at home all summer, even if it's
only used one or twice.

Now if your neighbors don't complain, you can keep it there all
year round. Of course all it takes is one anonymous phone call
to city hall, and you'll be towing your boat to the storage lot
thru 12" of snow in the middle of February....

The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

I don't think that can be a general rule in MI,

I've always understood that it was a state ordnance but it
seems that cities can have their own rules;

Novi, MI;
"Except where otherwise permitted in this Ordinance, the off-
street parking of a mobile home for periods exceeding twenty-
four (24) hours on lands not approved for mobile homes or
mobile home parks, shall be expressly prohibited, except that
the Building Inspector [Official] may extend temporary permits
allowing the parking of a mobile home in a rear yard on private
property, not to exceed a period of two (2) weeks."

Marysville, MI;
"If the recreational equipment is parked or stored outside of
a garage, it shall be parked or stored in the side or rear yard
as defined in the Marysville Zoning Ordinance. At no time shall
the recreational equipment protrude beyond the front line of
the swelling.
Recreational equipment and/or recreational vehicles may be
parked anywhere on the premises for loading or unloading
purposes for a period of not more than forty-eight (48) hours."

Northville, MI;
"Not more than one of each of the above enumerated apparatus, with
a maximum or four (4) of the same may be parked or stored on a lot
of record which is zoned and used for residential purposes; no closer
than three (3) feet to any side or rear lot line; and ownership of
said apparatus must be in the name of a member of the immediate
family of the lot's owner, tenant or lessee.
Campers, travel trailers, motorized homes, mobile homes and general
utility trailers may be parked anywhere on the premises for loading
or unloading purposes for a period not to exceed seventy-two (72)
hours except the time limit shall not apply to rear yard area."

Many other neighbors have boats parked in their driveways or
alongside their houses, some all year round. No problem.

Like I said, I see people doing that here also even thou it's
illegal but as long as nobody calls city hall, (like the owner
of the local storage facility....) you're alright.

QB3

It's a guy thing. Most of the people I see backing in are men. Women
almost never do it.

It's a safety thing for me. Be it a driveway or a parking space, I have a
much clearer view of the spot as I drive up to it, and I can then safely
back into the space, right after I have observed it.

When I am leaving, my observation of potential obstacles happens as I walk
up to the vehicle and a few dozen seconds may pass before I actually drive
out of the space. That's too much time, and animals and children have too
great an opportunity to wander into the danger zone.

I live on a quiet street and don't normally have any vehicles behind me when
I attempt to park. There are a lot of pedestrians in our neighborhood,
though. The young ones are what I seek to avoid. The older ones usually
know better than to walk behind a running vehicle when they can't see the
driver's eyes in the mirror.

My pickup truck and SUV have less visibility to the rear than most sedans.
That reality demands back-in parking. I've been doing it for years, and it
works for me. Lots of guys in our neighborhood do it. Something else may
work for you.

QB3

"fbloogyudsr" wrote in message
"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote
For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In

Parking
Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

Generally, they're so that the longer rear overhang of the car doesn't
block the sidewalk or hit something beyond the bump stop.

Floyd

Yeah, I agree with that. In Virginia, with license plates front and rear,
it is a reasonable explanation for the signs. I've seen them in areas where
stone walls were in front of the spaces and places where cars in the next
row might be hit by those backing in (with sufficient overhang).

Pooh Bear

G Henslee wrote:

Some cities
allow so many hours a month that the boat or RV can be parked on the
property.

And this in the 'land of the free' !!!!! ?????

Astonishing.

Graahm

KLS

On 16 Jul 2005 15:21:01 -0700, "Ed Stasiak" wrote:

I've always understood that it was a state ordnance

Perhaps you intended to use that last word, so if you did, your
sentence is funny. If, however, you intended to refer to a type of
law, the spelling is "ordinance."
Matthew Russotto

In article .com,
Ed Stasiak wrote:

But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

And people who paid 2-3x that much for their home don't
want to look out their window day after day and see your
camper/boat parked behind your garage, (out of sight for
you but right in my line of sight) wrapped in tarps with
knee high grass growing around it and varmints raising
babies underneath it.

And what makes them entitled to control everything within their line
of sight?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Ed Stasiak

Matthew Russotto wrote
Ed Stasiak wrote

But I shouldn't have look at your blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

You, in your backyard, are an eyesore.

What, you don't like my neon green fish-net Speedos?....

Skip Elliott Bowman

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
In article .com,
Ed Stasiak wrote:

But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyards, no
matter what they look like. That's a lot different than using the
right-of-way to store a land whale; you can't help but see that.

And people who paid 2-3x that much for their home don't
want to look out their window day after day and see your
camper/boat parked behind your garage, (out of sight for
you but right in my line of sight) wrapped in tarps with
knee high grass growing around it and varmints raising
babies underneath it.

And what makes them entitled to control everything within their line
of sight?

Maybe not everything, but there are some things that can be controlled. If
it's off the right-of-way and is creating a hazard by restricting view of
the street from others, or drawing vermin, I'd have a problem too.

John David Galt

That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
go to a storage facility.

Rotten place to live.

Not at all, it keeps the city from looking like a storage
lot.

Mere aesthetics are not proper cause for a law.

But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

Yes, you should. You are not entitled to a nice view onto
someone else's property. It's his, not yours. If you don't
want to see it, put up a higher fence.

It's the equivalent of putting a car up on cinder blocks
like a hillbilly, it's an eye-sore.

The same principle applies there too.
Matthew Russotto

Ed Stasiak wrote:

But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyards, no
matter what they look like. That's a lot different than using the
right-of-way to store a land whale; you can't help but see that.

Right-of-way? I'm referring to restrictions on storing it on private
property, not on the street. Particularly restrictions based on
aesthetic concerns.

John David Galt wrote:
That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
go to a storage facility.

Rotten place to live.

Not at all, it keeps the city from looking like a storage
lot.

Mere aesthetics are not proper cause for a law.

Oh, but it *is*. Property values mean something. And when they are
diminished by the action or inaction of others, there's legal cause.

Remember, we're not talkin' hi-falutin' philosophy here - this is about
*money.*

E.P.

Robert Briggs

Don Phillipson wrote:
Kevin Spencer wrote:

Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
unusual?

This is usual in England although no rule mandates it.

That said, the Highway Code certainly recommends it:

177: Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When
using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/19.htm#177

In the thick end of seventeen years, I have driven forwards into
my drive:

to use a gate to check headlight alignment;

to get my working battery close enough to my neighbour's
flat one to use jump leads;

er ... I think that's about it.
Robert Briggs

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

The ones who **** me off and crack me up at the same time are those who
drive tiny cars *all the way into* parking spaces flanked on either side
by much bigger cars. That's moronic; the smart way is to pull in only so
far as to put the trailing end (whichever that be) of the small car more
or less even with the outer extent of the parking space lines.

IMO, correct procedure in such circumstances is to "bury" your
"trailing end" a few inches into the row: enough that the big
boys take the risk of being hit by passing traffic, but not so
much as to obscure your presence.
Robert Briggs

KLS wrote:
Ed Stasiak wrote:

I've always understood that it was a state ordnance

Perhaps you intended to use that last word, so if you did,
your sentence is funny.

When I spotted the error in his previous post, I thought of:
"Praise the Lord! And pass the ammunition!"

If, however, you intended to refer to a type of law, the
spelling is "ordinance."

It's quite a common error, although (perhaps because one of
my regular haunts is rec.aviation.military) munitions seem
to be written up as edicts more than the other way round.
Robert Briggs

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
Kevin Spencer wrote:

I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years)

A few YEARS?

That doesn't seem particularly unusual: quite a few folk go
abroad for a few years (for work, as missionaries, etc.) and
want to return to their houses at the end.

There are also folk who spend significant periods away from
home "at Her Majesty's pleasure" - not that I have any reason
to suppose that the owner of Kevin's residence is in such a
position.

I do the same, but my driveway's as straight as can be. It goes along
the side of my house to the rear-facing garage. Backing in or out would
be rather frightening since it's a 70+ feet long single car width with
a brick wall on one side, and a drop-off to the neighbors house on the
other.

DTJ

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:49:48 -0500,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

Ed Stasiak wrote:

But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyards, no
matter what they look like. That's a lot different than using the
right-of-way to store a land whale; you can't help but see that.

Right-of-way? I'm referring to restrictions on storing it on private
property, not on the street. Particularly restrictions based on
aesthetic concerns.

Sorry Matt, but I disagree with you here. Although it depends on how
far they go.

For example, in an upscale neighborhood, parking a semi nearby is
illegal. Why should lower income people have to put up with this
****?

As to boats and RVs, I have mixed feelings. I have a neighbor who
violates the local laws all the time. He just moves his RV from one
street to the next (lives on a corner) and gets away with it. He is a
builder, and so the village won't enforce the law. Why should I have
to risk getting hit every time I drive by his house because he has a
40 foot camper parked at the stop sign on a curve?

What is the right answer, I don't know. I do know that boats belong
on water, not in a driveway in front of a house.
Banty

In article , QB3 says...

It's a guy thing. Most of the people I see backing in are men. Women
almost never do it.

Heh. Women do it too. We parallel park purty good, too! :-D

It's a safety thing for me. Be it a driveway or a parking space, I have a
much clearer view of the spot as I drive up to it, and I can then safely
back into the space, right after I have observed it.

When I am leaving, my observation of potential obstacles happens as I walk
up to the vehicle and a few dozen seconds may pass before I actually drive
out of the space. That's too much time, and animals and children have too
great an opportunity to wander into the danger zone.

OK but explain to me if this is a guy thing - I'm talking about *walking* to
check things, as I do in the morning before I pull out as there are small boys
next door. (Come to think of it, this may be a big-garage-with-door-opener
thing) - I need to traverse from my house to my truck anyway. I'm not stuck in a
car seat. High, or low. Can peek around shrubs, too. More effective.

If I am to do that on arriving, I'd have to get out of my truck and walk around.
Not nearly so efficient.

I live on a quiet street and don't normally have any vehicles behind me when
I attempt to park. There are a lot of pedestrians in our neighborhood,
though. The young ones are what I seek to avoid. The older ones usually
know better than to walk behind a running vehicle when they can't see the
driver's eyes in the mirror.

My pickup truck and SUV have less visibility to the rear than most sedans.
That reality demands back-in parking. I've been doing it for years, and it
works for me. Lots of guys in our neighborhood do it. Something else may
work for you.

Yep.

Banty

Matthew Russotto wrote
DTJ wrote

For example, in an upscale neighborhood, parking a semi
nearby is illegal. Why should lower income people have
to put up with this ****?

Far as I'm concerned, if you can fit a semi-truck on your
property, it should be perfectly legal to have it there
whether you're rich or poor.

I can also fit a herd of pigs on my property.
If you were my neighbor you'd be cool with
that, right?....

Matthew Russotto

In article .com,
wrote:
Matthew Russotto wrote
DTJ wrote

For example, in an upscale neighborhood, parking a semi
nearby is illegal. Why should lower income people have
to put up with this ****?

Far as I'm concerned, if you can fit a semi-truck on your
property, it should be perfectly legal to have it there
whether you're rich or poor.

I can also fit a herd of pigs on my property.
If you were my neighbor you'd be cool with
that, right?....

Long as you keep the volatile organic compounds they release on your
property, sure.

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
driveway problem Walsh Home Repair 4 September 24th 04 02:14 AM
Cooker Switch, back box earthing Ian UK diy 6 August 30th 04 09:48 PM
Box spanner for basin back nuts Joe UK diy 1 February 24th 04 01:13 AM