Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

finding z0

Default would a variac wreck a box fan?

I just bought a new 18" box fan (Patton U2-1803), but the lowest of its
3 speeds is too fast and noisy. Would I be a'hurtin' the fan to throw a
variac betwixt outlet and fan and run it at lower voltage(?). I'm am
electronically challenged.

Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
finding z0 wrote:
I just bought a new 18" box fan (Patton U2-1803), but the lowest of its
3 speeds is too fast and noisy. Would I be a'hurtin' the fan to throw a
variac betwixt outlet and fan and run it at lower voltage(?). I'm am
electronically challenged.

No problem at all, I do it regularly. Just use the highest speed switch
setting and reduce the voltage for your desired speed. Note that some
fan motors will hum when controlled in this way.

As an alternate method, get a fan speed control. Looks like a rotary
lamp dimmer. (DON'T use a lamp dimmer.) Remove the existing switch and
mount the fan dimmer in the same hole. Use the high speed wire from the
switch and tape the other(s). If this is beyond you get a geek to do
it for you. Advantage over the variac is convenience.

finding z0

thanks Rich for the prompt reply. Where would I find a fan speed ctl?
The large HW chains? Or Radio Shack? I'm sure the switch is much
lighter than the Variac i have in mind.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

finding z0 wrote:
thanks Rich for the prompt reply. Where would I find a fan speed ctl?
The large HW chains? Or Radio Shack? I'm sure the switch is much
lighter than the Variac i have in mind.

Some devices work by reducing the voltage by bleeding the current across
a seperate device. IN this case the same wattage is burned off no
matter what speed. Others reduce the voltage in a more spohisticated
way. I think the fan controller will probably do it right. But you can
only be certain if you buy it in Home Depot or the like. Buying it in
radio shack means you have to know what your looking for.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
finding z0 wrote:
thanks Rich for the prompt reply. Where would I find a fan speed ctl?
The large HW chains? Or Radio Shack? I'm sure the switch is much
lighter than the Variac i have in mind.

Go to a large hardware store or home depot's electrical dept and ask for
one.

BUT

If you are not comfortable opening up the fan and replacing the switch
with the fan control, stick with the Variac.

Variac as router speed control? Interious Woodworking 8 March 30th 05 12:03 PM
The Wreck - And Politics - And A New Pledge Tom Watson Woodworking 28 October 16th 04 02:24 AM
The Soft Wreck ? toller Woodworking 82 September 14th 04 09:50 PM
Psychopathology and The Wreck Tom Watson Woodworking 59 June 7th 04 03:26 PM
Variac Help. Trying to find the right one. Andres Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:05 PM