Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Honest Abe

Default MaxLite Bulbs: GARBAGE! DON'T BUY THEM!

MAXLITE - LIARS SELLING GARBAGE AND CHEATING CONSUMERS!

MaxLite claims on their packaging that their "spiralmax" compact flourescent
bulbs last an average of 10,000 hours. That's a LIE!

They also state their bulbs "Will produce 9 years of trouble-free use."
ANOTHER LIE!

I've had about 8 of these bulbs over the past 2 to 3 years, and NONE have
lasted for more than a few hundred hours of use, some much less. Upon my
calling the company to return the first for a warrantee replacement, the
MaxLite scammers had the collosal nerve to request $4.00 for the
replacement. I originally paid around $10 retail for it, but even $4 would
be much more than it's worth.

They sent a free replacement upon my threatening them with complaints to
consumer protection agencies for false advertising, but I first had to pay
the cost of shipping the defective bulb to them.

And so it has been - the bulb lasts only a short time, I have to mail it
back, and they send a replacement no better than the last one that
prematurely failed. These liars obviously count on the fact that most people
will just throw out the bad one and buy another with no thought about the
warrantee.

I'm fed up - and I'm using the old, reliable incandescent bulbs again.

BOYCOTT MAXLITE!

Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"Honest Abe" wrote in message
[...]

There ARE some good CF lights out there.....but stay away from "Lights of
America" as they are ****-quality too...
I have been using the "GE" model...a little more money but bright and
reliable.

I'm fed up - and I'm using the old, reliable incandescent bulbs again.

BOYCOTT MAXLITE!

PaPaPeng

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:02:57 GMT, "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik"
wrote:

There ARE some good CF lights out there.....but stay away from "Lights of
America" as they are ****-quality too...
I have been using the "GE" model...a little more money but bright and
reliable.

Sounds like the ones I bought at the Dollar Store. Probably same
China manufacturers, different box label. Didn't last long. Didn't
like the light spectrum. I'll stick to "warm" tungsten lights. Even
ordinary flourescent lights make my eyes squint and tire quickly.
Brian Elfert

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" writes:

There ARE some good CF lights out there.....but stay away from "Lights of
America" as they are ****-quality too...
I have been using the "GE" model...a little more money but bright and
reliable.

I bought some GE CFLs from Target and one died within the 90 day return
period. I got a new set and they are still working.

I think every CFL can have failures.

Brian Elfert
Don Klipstein

wrote:

There ARE some good CF lights out there.....but stay away from "Lights of
America" as they are ****-quality too...
SNIP

Sounds like the ones I bought at the Dollar Store. Probably same
China manufacturers, different box label. Didn't last long. Didn't
like the light spectrum. I'll stick to "warm" tungsten lights. Even
ordinary flourescent lights make my eyes squint and tire quickly.

In my experience, dollar store compact fluorescents are worse than those
by Lights of America, and I am one of many who have complained about
Lights of America and complained much less about other brands and I even
found many compact fluorescents that I like.

Most dollar store compact fluorescents in my experience have a color
like that of the bluish "daylight" standard fluorescents, or even slightly
more blue than that, even if the package says "soft warm white light" or
"Sun lighting". Even many actually "warm white" dollar store models I
found to have a less attractive purplish color and subpar color rendering
properties.

In my experience, all dollar store compact fluorescents overstate their
light output, both in terms of "incandescent equivalence" and also in
lumens in the few cases they do so. The least-overstated dollar store
compact fluorescents in my experience do this almost as badly as the
most-overstated compact fluorescents other than dollar store models. The
most overstated dollar store ones in my experience exagerated light output
by a factor of more than 3. One exception: One that did not make a claim
stating light output.

Sample size: 13 "brands", 29 "models", approx. 50 units tested.

There are better ones. Most spirals 19 watts or less (incandescent
equivalence 75 watts or less) have decent to excellent reliability, and
color very much like that of incandescent. I have yet to have any bad
experience in terms of reliability of any model by Philips or Sylvania,
and had bad reliability experience with only one GE model (which I have
not seen in a few years).
Non-spiral screw-in ones by Philips and GE have good color, although I
consider these very slightly harsher than that of most spirals 19 watts or
less. Most Sylvania screw-in models I find a little harsher still, with a
slightly pinkish shade of "3000K". However, I like their 3500K
("daylight" but actually what I call a "semi warm white") 13 watt spirals
- although this whiter color may appear "dreary" unless lighting
conditions achieved with these are truly bright (with a desk lamp or in a
room with several of these).
Non-spiral screw-in models by GE, Philips and Sylvania I have found to
have good reliability, even ones with light output fully matching that of
a "standard" 100 watt incandescent.

I mention more in my compact fluorescent pages linked from:

http://www.misty.com/~don/cfx.html

- Don Klipstein )