Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

haucy

Default range hood vent ductwork

Hi,

I am going to install a vented(horizontal) range hood in my new house.
My builder setup the ductwork as following: range to duct and then
straight DOWN about 6 ft and then a 90 degree bend (another 6ft) to the
outside.

I don't think this would work. The efficiency is going to be very very
poor. I need some proof and support to convince my builder.

What do you think?

Thanks,

haucy

Down ? Where is the outlet relative to the top of the cooking surface
? Below it ?

briz

Read the specs for your hood and see how many CFM's It rated to push
then figure how many feet of pipe you have. Figure 10' for each 90 deg.
turn. It sounds to me from your discription that it should work fine.
Steve

haucy

The vent is an above stove top type.

Thanks.

Al Bundy

haucy wrote:
Hi,

I am going to install a vented(horizontal) range hood in my new house.
My builder setup the ductwork as following: range to duct and then
straight DOWN about 6 ft and then a 90 degree bend (another 6ft) to the
outside.

I don't think this would work. The efficiency is going to be very very
poor. I need some proof and support to convince my builder.

What do you think?

Thanks,

haucy

It sounds like you don't have the option of going straight up or out.
So the vent fan has to have enough power to push extra air. That's what
to concentrate on. I think your setup will have a tendency to form
condensation at the 90=B0 bend. Running the fan longer after cooking
will help.