Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jay

Default HVAC Air Duct? Reducing flow in the square tube

We have been in the house for little less than a year and lest summer was
cool and wet so we hadnt experienced the brunt of a hot summer.

We have a bonus room above the garage which has its own supply duct
(square ducting) running off the main shaft.
I have chocked down all the misc downstairs runs, round ducting to the
local vents, in order to get more of the AC upstairs.
This is working somewhat, but ther is soooo much flow going to the bonus
room, the main duct to the retst of the upstairs in the same size feeding
this one room.

How would I go about restricting the flow in the bonus room duct?
Do they have the rotate plates for square ducts? or am i going to have to
disconnect it altogether and put a cap at the furnace to eliminate flow to
this room altogether?

TIA!
Travis Jordan

Jay wrote:
How would I go about restricting the flow in the bonus room duct?
Do they have the rotate plates for square ducts? or am i going to
have to disconnect it altogether and put a cap at the furnace to
eliminate flow to this room altogether?

Duct design is a complicated matter. It sounds like your bonus room
takeoff duct was oversized. The best thing to do is to call a
professional who knows how to do a "Manual D" duct calculation and have
them advise you what size the takeoff duct should be. Perhaps it should
be smaller, or perhaps the trunk ("main shaft") and the later takeoff
ducts to the upstairs should be larger. It is hard to tell from here.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Jay wrote:
We have been in the house for little less than a year and lest summer was
cool and wet so we hadnt experienced the brunt of a hot summer.

We have a bonus room above the garage which has its own supply duct
(square ducting) running off the main shaft.
I have chocked down all the misc downstairs runs, round ducting to the
local vents, in order to get more of the AC upstairs.
This is working somewhat, but ther is soooo much flow going to the bonus
room, the main duct to the retst of the upstairs in the same size feeding
this one room.

How would I go about restricting the flow in the bonus room duct?
Do they have the rotate plates for square ducts? or am i going to have to
disconnect it altogether and put a cap at the furnace to eliminate flow to
this room altogether?

TIA!

Why dont you just close the room damper? its easier than reworking the
system. Also if you keep the room doors open the temperature can
normalize much better in my experience.

CL
Jay

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in
:

Jay wrote:
[...]

Ouch, I tried that, It actually lifted the carpet off the floor
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Jay wrote:
"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in
:

Jay wrote:

[...]

lol, thats funny. Still the proper way is usually the best way. All
other techniques will probably fall short. Sounds like you gotta lotta
power there. And your saying their is no damper inside the ductwork?

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

reducing air flow in part of the floor plan bill a Home Repair 15 December 11th 04 02:51 PM
Shop Measurements: Dust collector air velocity and flow rates Vince Heuring Woodworking 10 December 7th 04 03:02 PM
CH - alpha pumps FrancisJK UK diy 45 September 23rd 04 08:06 PM
How to Put 6" Duct to 1.5 HP Dust Collector? Jay Chan Woodworking 17 March 16th 04 04:11 PM
Fridge Plastic Tube Constricted Water Flow Filipo Home Repair 4 February 26th 04 07:04 AM