Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Windi

Default Replacement Vinyl Windows

I'm very confused. It's time to replace all the windows in my house in
Westchester County, NY. There are so many replacement window companies.
Several have come to my house to give me prices. They all say their product
is the best. How do I sort this out? I don't want the cheapest, nor do I
need "the best". Want a quality window that will look nice and will be a
plus when I sell the house sometime in the future. Thanks.
Win

Good heavens. Me too. I cannot make sense of it all.

Bert Hyman

In "Windi" wrote:

I'm very confused. It's time to replace all the windows in my house in
Westchester County, NY. There are so many replacement window companies.
Several have come to my house to give me prices. They all say their
product is the best. How do I sort this out? I don't want the
cheapest, nor do I need "the best". Want a quality window that will
look nice and will be a plus when I sell the house sometime in the
future. Thanks. Win

We have them in several rooms in the house, installed by two different
companies.

Other than the lock hardware, they are absolutely identical, down to
interchangeable spring-tube assemblies. We had one fail, couldn't remember
or figure out which company installed the window it came from and just got
a replacement from the one which was most convenient.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to which company does the best
installation job, something that you'll have to work hard to figure out.

That said, I -really don't like them very much. Windows which get opened
a lot leak air; apparently the plastic-on-plastic bearing surfaces wear
pretty quickly. The windows which don't get used much are still pretty
tight.

When we remodeled our kitchen, we went with a more traditional window,
made by Marvin.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Eric Tonks

Wouldn't use plastic PVC windows in my house. Try fiberglass or aluminum on
wood.
Vinyl people always say they use the best vinyl but cannot prove it. Many
seal the glass into the sash so if the glass seal fails you have to buy an
entire sash -- that is if you can remember the name of the company, if it is
still in business or even if they are still using the same vinyl profiles.

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:20:05 -0400, someone wrote:

I'm very confused. It's time to replace all the windows in my house in
Westchester County, NY. There are so many replacement window companies.

Well that's the problem. In a way, there is no such thing as a
"replacement window". Once it is installed a window is a window is a
window. Why replace with vinyl when that is rarely what people
install on new homes of good quality. Pick the windows you want,
interactively with verifying that you will be able to easily get the
sizes you need (not as hard as you might think in this age of computer
assisted drafting and manufacturing).

There can indeed be "window replacement contractors" who specialize in
this kind of remodeling job rather than in doing new work. But you
might do be with some general, reputable contractor who does renovaton
work. I'd expect they can figure out how to replace a window. So
many of the "window replacement contractors" seem to be sales &
marketing driven with high pressure to close.