Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

steve

Default GE Calypso Washer - Amusing Story

Our 4 year old Calypso washer has been throwing all kinds of error
codes. "Unbalanced Load", "Suds Lock", "Slow Drain" etc...

After much hair pulling and two previous and failed attempts by a
different service outlet we called Certified Appliance in Fullerton,
California to take a stab at it.

(If you need repairs and are near Fullerton, call these guys! Real pros
IMHO)

Dan the repair guy was puzzled at first but after about an hour and a
half of diagnosis he discovered the problem:

The Calypso washer appears to have an fetish for under-wire bras. In
fact, it loves them so much that it eats the wires, which become lodged
under the tub near the entry for the drain pump. They then collect lint
and foul the drain resulting in strange and intermittent error codes.

Usually just before you need clean clothes for a business trip or other
important event!

In our case, Dan found Two wires.

"They normally travel in pairs" I offered....

So beware the under-wire bra, and use a washing bag if you must try to
wash them in this model washer.

The only other mystery is: Since my wife does not wear under-wire bras,
who has been washing them in our washer?

I should set up a 'laundry room cam' Think I could sell subscriptions?

Steve in Placentia, CA

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:15:21 -0400, in misc.consumers.house Andrew White
wrote:

We have a Whirlpool Duet front-loading washer. There is a very wide
and very flexible rubber seal on the inside of the door and around the
wash tub. After having the washer for about 6 months we discovered
that there were about 15-20 socks (mostly kids') behind the seal.
Apparently there is enough of a gap for socks to slip out of the tub
and behind the seal! Now we check there on a regular basis and catch
a few socks a month...

Ahhhh maybe that's where all the baby socks have been going in my household.
Doug Miller

In article , steve wrote:
[snip]
The Calypso washer appears to have an fetish for under-wire bras. In
fact, it loves them so much that it eats the wires, which become lodged
under the tub near the entry for the drain pump. They then collect lint
and foul the drain resulting in strange and intermittent error codes.

[snip]

The only other mystery is: Since my wife does not wear under-wire bras,
who has been washing them in our washer?

Possibly they belonged to a house guest, and not necessarily a recent guest,
as the wires could have become lodged quite some time ago, and only recently
vibrated into a position where they began to cause problems.

I'm guessing that you don't have a teenage daughter, or it would have already
occurred to you that she might be the source - but if you have a teenage *son*
they might belong to his girlfriend.

It's also possible that your wife *does* wear under-wire bras... just not in
front of *you*. :-(

--
Regards,

Larry Bud

The only other mystery is: Since my wife does not wear under-wire
bras,
who has been washing them in our washer?

She might be asking the same thing... I'd cool it with your mistress
:-)