Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mid787

Default square feet per btu's

does anyone know a rule of thumb for heating a room in a basement
roughly 600-800 square feet with a propane ventless heater, how many
btu's would you need? Ceiling height will be 8'.
Lucy

"mid787" wrote in message
does anyone know a rule of thumb for heating a room in a basement roughly
600-800 square feet with a propane ventless heater, how many btu's would
you need? Ceiling height will be 8'.

I don't know if it is different for propane vs natural gas, but here's my
two cents, as I used to work for our local gas company.
Warmer climates, 25-30 BTU/sq. ft. In colder climates, around 35-40 BTU/sq.
ft. and in coldest climates, around 45 BTU/sq. ft.
Use this only as a guide to know whether or not your installer is telling
you the truth.
Hope this helps,
lucy

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:08:25 -0400, someone wrote:

Ceiling height will be 8'.

Unusually high basement!

ameijers

"v" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:08:25 -0400, someone wrote:

Ceiling height will be 8'.

Unusually high basement!

Yeah, but that is a good thing. Wish more builders did the 9 or 10 foot from
slab to sill plate, so you can walk under the ducts and centerline beam
without head-banging, and if you want to finish the space, have a 'normal'
height ceiling without that bulkhead down the middle that screams 'finished
basement!' Especially true for tall people like me- I've been
house-shopping for quite awhile, and almost every place I look at, the
cellar stairs are a head-banger at the bottom. IMHO, deep basement is a
relatively cheap upgrade during construction that pays back bigtime in
livability. If the Lotto Fairy ever smiles on me and I build my 'forever'
house, I'll definitely write that into the specs.

aem sends....