Electronics (alt.electronics)

Jonny Durango

Default Please HELP! - Power Supply!

I desperately need to buy or build a wall-wart type power supply that will
provide 9v AC 3.5A output. Long story short I upgraded my studio w/ a new
soundcard and was told I could buy the power supply from the manufacturer
(m-audio)....unfortunately they are sold out and will not have any for
several weeks. I've only found two other places that sell them and neither
will reply to my emails, I'm not even sure they're in business anymore.
Anyway, can I simply connect a transformer to some power cord? Can you guys
think of a place that might supply an adapter with such a high current? If I
don't figure this out soon I'll have very unhappy clients, or worse, no
clients. Thanks a ton!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

loedown

Did you try one of their distributors like Swee****er in the USA?

Paul

Jonny Durango

Did you try one of their distributors like Swee****er in the USA?

Yep....their customer service is incredible, but unfortunately they also go
through m-audio. They are going to try to put in some kind of special
request, but I'm afraid if m-audio is out, they are out, period. Thanks
anyway for the advice!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"loedown" wrote in message

Did you try one of their distributors like Swee****er in the USA?

Paul

Steve

Since it needs AC I would just buy a transformer (at least 40VA) and
connect it up in a good plastic box. Be careful with the mains. Being
paranoid I would also put a fuse into the mains side, a circuit breaker
(5A) into output side and a thermal fuse just in case (to stop it melting).

Jonny Durango wrote:
I desperately need to buy or build a wall-wart type power supply that will
provide 9v AC 3.5A output. Long story short I upgraded my studio w/ a new
soundcard and was told I could buy the power supply from the manufacturer
(m-audio)....unfortunately they are sold out and will not have any for
several weeks. I've only found two other places that sell them and neither
will reply to my emails, I'm not even sure they're in business anymore.
Anyway, can I simply connect a transformer to some power cord? Can you guys
think of a place that might supply an adapter with such a high current? If I
don't figure this out soon I'll have very unhappy clients, or worse, no
clients. Thanks a ton!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

loedown

Swee****er's customer service is excellent, I bought something from them
here (Australia) and they were quick and accurate, even with import tax and
postage charges, they were nearly $1000 cheaper than here

Paul

JeffM

I desperately need to buy or build a wall-wart type power supply
...9v AC 3.5A output
Jonny Durango

This search string
http://www.google.com/search?q=9v+3....+-battery+-edu

got me this page
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:d...com/182.htm+9v

A toroidal will be more expensive than a conventional transformer
(but lighter weight and cooler to the touch).
You may want to go conventional.

30VA is a bit big for a wall wart.
If you get your own steel box
and make a "brick" that lies on the floor or tabletop,
you should be good to go.
As Steve said, fuse it.

Places to get stuff:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:F...onics+bg-micro

Need help re power supply for new Digital (DLP) tv R. Bharat Rao Home Ownership 3 February 24th 05 03:43 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Sony VCR Power Supply Don Satman Electronics Repair 9 January 23rd 04 05:48 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Sony KV-2782R and 2785R, power supply problems. Michael Parker Electronics Repair 1 October 23rd 03 08:56 AM