Electronics (alt.electronics)

Doug Greenberg

Default Sony vs. Toshiba HDTV's--opinions?

Hello,
I realize this is a shot in the dark here, as there are so many TV's out
there to choose from, but hey, I'll give it a go:

We are upgrading from our "ancient" 19-inch regular color TV, and we have
reduced the choices to two 34" widescreen models:

Sony KD-34XBR960, $2199
Toshiba 34HFX84, $1599

We will be getting HDTV via cable input from Comcast.

The Sony is currently "top rated" by some review sites, but it's expensive,
weighs 200lbs., and has some features we don't need (an HDTV tuner,
"cable-card readiness," a slot for Sony data stick input).

The Toshiba seems like a good choice based on price, looks, weight ("only"
160 lbs.), and features.

I guess what I'm wondering is how the actual performance of the Toshiba
measures up to the Sony. If the Sony's picture is significantly better, I'd
likely spend the extra money (after all, we probably won't buy another TV
for another ten years :-).

Has anyone viewed/compared these two fine sets?
Thanks for any answers,
Doug

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Question on Toshiba 20AF44 Don Allen Electronics Repair 1 July 3rd 04 04:42 AM
Sony SBX1637 on Toshiba CF32C50 Bob Electronics Repair 1 July 3rd 04 04:20 AM
ICs for Sale - Specials, obsolete and Memory The Photographer Electronics Repair 0 June 3rd 04 11:40 PM
Sony G410R Monitor problem (and bad Sony support) Steeve M Electronics Repair 7 July 15th 03 12:24 AM