DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Sony vs. Toshiba HDTV's--opinions? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/89701-sony-vs-toshiba-hdtvs-opinions.html)

Doug Greenberg February 4th 05 03:22 PM

Sony vs. Toshiba HDTV's--opinions?

Hello,
I realize this is a shot in the dark here, as there are so many TV's out
there to choose from, but hey, I'll give it a go:

We are upgrading from our "ancient" 19-inch regular color TV, and we have
reduced the choices to two 34" widescreen models:

Sony KD-34XBR960, $2199
Toshiba 34HFX84, $1599

We will be getting HDTV via cable input from Comcast.

The Sony is currently "top rated" by some review sites, but it's expensive,
weighs 200lbs., and has some features we don't need (an HDTV tuner,
"cable-card readiness," a slot for Sony data stick input).

The Toshiba seems like a good choice based on price, looks, weight ("only"
160 lbs.), and features.

I guess what I'm wondering is how the actual performance of the Toshiba
measures up to the Sony. If the Sony's picture is significantly better, I'd
likely spend the extra money (after all, we probably won't buy another TV
for another ten years :-).

Has anyone viewed/compared these two fine sets?
Thanks for any answers,
Doug