Electronics (alt.electronics)

James Wilson

Default Homebrew binary watch?

Anyone created a home made version of the binary watches you can get now
(like this one http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17)? They look so
cool!

I was thinking of using a PIC and watch (32,768) xtal possibly with a
seperate I2C RTC device. Most of the devices that would fit in a watch case
are SMT which I have no experience of in homebrew. Is there anything like
the equivelant of breadboard for SMT devices?!

Any thoughts appriciated,
James
jamesmachineroominfo.
(insert @ between james and machineroom and a dot before info).

JeffM

home made version of the binary watches...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17 ?
James Wilson

breadboard for SMT devices?

The clearances are so tiny that it's not a good idea.
DIY PCBs aren't difficult.
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/pcbs.html

~3" x ~4" PCBs CAD demo
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download.htm
ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/pub/program/4.1...ger-4.13r1.exe

Glen

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:04:21 -0000, "James Wilson"
wrote:

You can always mock it up on a breadboard, using through-hole
components. Then, scale it down on the real deal. Nothing beats a
circuit sim, though.

Glen

Anyone created a home made version of the binary watches you can get now
(like this one http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17)? They look so
cool!

I was thinking of using a PIC and watch (32,768) xtal possibly with a
seperate I2C RTC device. Most of the devices that would fit in a watch case
are SMT which I have no experience of in homebrew. Is there anything like
the equivelant of breadboard for SMT devices?!

Any thoughts appriciated,
James
jamesmachineroominfo.
(insert @ between james and machineroom and a dot before info).

Rich Grise

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:55:35 -0800, JeffM wrote:

home made version of the binary watches...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17 ?
James Wilson

breadboard for SMT devices?

The clearances are so tiny that it's not a good idea.
DIY PCBs aren't difficult.
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/pcbs.html

Maybe he should try for one of these:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/atomic-bill/