Electronics (alt.electronics)

Shannon H.

Default High Efficiency LEDs?

My apologies if the following question is a dumb one, but could someone
please explain to me if there is any difference between the standard
LEDs that one might expect to find at Radio Shack and those installed in
certain newer-model, long-lasting LED-style flashlights, garden lights
and lanterns?

I have seen several products in catalogs in recent months which specify
that because of new technology, their LEDs not only last 1000,000 hours,
but that they draw less power than other, older LEDs. Is that the case?
And if so, could someone tell me specifically where I might be able to
purchase them and exactly what I should ask for?

I'm looking for amber-colored LEDs as opposed to the white ones-- if
that makes any difference. I'm hoping to replace the LEDs in my solar
powered lamp posts which currently yield approximately seven hours of
run time on one day's charge. I'm afraid that switching to another brand
of LED would eat up too much power and make the light last fewer hours
during the night.

Please feel free to email me with any information or advice that you
think may be helpful-- it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Shannon

Reason

"Shannon H." wrote in message

[...]

Just a thought. Since most amber LEDs that I know about require AC current,
and your source is DC, you could get amber light by combining red and green
LEDs together. If you bunched them together say, 2 and 2 in the lamp, I
think the result will be an amber color, and perhaps some interesting shadow
effects as well.

Don't know if this will help......but I have purchased the newer LED's
from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ There is a wide selection and
they are reasonably priced. Radio Shack is over priced and has old
stock.

As far as LED's for flashlights goes, I just purchased an EVERLED
( www.everled.com ) and it is truely amazing! It uses a Luxeon LED.
I put it in a two cell flashlight with worn out batteries and it
lights bright enough to hurt your eyes!! A bit pricey at $39.00
though.

tetek