Electronics (alt.electronics)

Roffe

Default Strange problem and I need help to figure it out...

Hi

Please check your power-supply for the laptop. (electrolytic capacitors.)
regards
RBJ

"Carter Burke" skrev i melding

Hi everyone,

I have a problem that has me a bit worried-

I have a laptop connected to a TV and am using the TV as a second
monitor and several days ago I noticed some audio humming and a slight
scrolling dark patch in the video.

I wiggled the outlet the laptop is plugged into and it cleared up a
bit but did not go away completely so I replaced the outlet. I plugged
the laptop into another outlet in the room and the inteference is
still there.

If I unplug the laptop and run it from battery power everything is
fine.

I connected another PC to the TV and it shows the same symptoms.

I am now concerned that there is something wrong with the electrical
system in the house and this is a warning sign.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer (although one would be great),
just some pointers as to what might be the problem so anyone with any
ideas please let me know.

Thanks!

Art

Since it is happening with more than one device, your laptop and the other
pc, it is probably something in your hookup. Laptop power supply is not the
problem!! Cue is that when you use the laptop in battery only mode the
symptom goes away. Some type of ground loop possible via the mains feed?? I
bet it even happens if the same outlet that the tele is connected to is
used.
"Roffe" wrote in message
[...]

Immersion heater - spot the problem RichardS UK diy 26 July 20th 04 10:55 AM
rising damp problem dustie UK diy 5 July 14th 04 05:42 PM
Spoke Too Soon!! New Pump hasn't solved CH Problem Richard Faulkner UK diy 16 January 1st 04 10:05 PM
C/H Problem - New pump solves it after 6 months! Richard Faulkner UK diy 11 December 24th 03 05:00 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:00 PM