Electronics (alt.electronics)

Coyoteboy

Default Impedance probs

Hi,

I've got a relatively old stereo system that has surroundsound outputs, but
it has them labelled as 16 ohm. I'm guessing I'll be doing damage
(over-currenting the amps) if I use 8 ohmers, so can I use a pair of 8 ohms
in parallel or will that cause problems too? I've been trying to find 16 ohm
speakers but they are not cheap and very hard to come by.
Can anyone suggest anything? Sticking an 8ohm resistor in line with it one 8
ohmer??

James

Lawrence Lucier

Coyoteboy wrote:

Hi,

(over-currenting the amps) if I use 8 ohmers, so can I use a pair of 8 ohms
in parallel or will that cause problems too?

A parallel connection would result in 4 ohms rather than the 16
you are seeking. A series connection would result in 16 ohms.
Blue Lightning

I assume you meant to wire the two speakers in series, not in
parallel. This will work, but might not be convenient. I think you can
do the 8 Ohms in series but with a loss in overall signal strength.
Make sure the resistor is big enough to handle the wattage or it will
overheat. You could also use a 2:1 transformer with a good response in
the audio range. This would present your stereo with the load it's
expecting.

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I've got a relatively old stereo system that has surroundsound outputs, but
it has them labelled as 16 ohm. I'm guessing I'll be doing damage
(over-currenting the amps) if I use 8 ohmers, so can I use a pair of 8 ohms
in parallel or will that cause problems too? I've been trying to find 16 ohm
speakers but they are not cheap and very hard to come by.
Can anyone suggest anything? Sticking an 8ohm resistor in line with it one 8
ohmer??

James

JeffM

...stereo system...has surroundsound outputs...labelled as 16 ohm
...can I use a pair of 8 ohms in parallel ?
James (Coyoteboy)

Not parallel--SERIES.
They must also be phased properly or the sound will be thin.
This should be easy to determine by ear;
swap the polarity of the wires on one of the speakers
on one of the channels and listen.

Paint Probs mark b UK diy 4 May 19th 04 06:43 PM
Paint Probs. mark b UK diy 3 May 17th 04 03:05 PM
Indesit Washing Machine Probs W1435 Grinch UK diy 3 February 9th 04 08:47 PM
Boiler probs lodtop UK diy 114 December 17th 03 09:34 AM