Electronics (alt.electronics)

MillTek

Default Engine ingition program

Hi All,

I'd like to build something that can pick up the high tension spark
impulses in a 6 cylinder engine that plugs into a laptop so that I can
record them. Then some way to analyze where a periodic 'misfire' is
ocurring. Any way or know method of doing this?

Thanks,
Jim
UncleWobbly

you need to be very careful here... you are looking at 30KV+ and it will be
the end of your laptop if that accidentally gets near it. You will need to
do some sort of optical link and then feed onto the parallel port o
something like that - there are plenty of parallel interface kits around.
you might find that the ignition problem is not down to the spark-plugs or
PTU... so just checking one input prolly won't give you all yo need.
Does you local service main dealer not have an analyser?

"MillTek" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'd like to build something that can pick up the high tension spark
impulses in a 6 cylinder engine that plugs into a laptop so that I can
record them. Then some way to analyze where a periodic 'misfire' is
ocurring. Any way or know method of doing this?

Thanks,
Jim

Bryan Swadener

"MillTek" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'd like to build something that can pick up the high tension spark
impulses in a 6 cylinder engine that plugs into a laptop so that I can
record them. Then some way to analyze where a periodic 'misfire' is
ocurring. Any way or know method of doing this?

Thanks,
Jim

How about starting with a magnetic pickup unit from an ignition timing
light?
Bryan

JeffM

pick up the high tension spark impulses in a 6 cylinder engine
...plugs into a laptop so that I can record them.
Jim MillTek

http://groups.google.com/groups?num=... Google+Search

http://groups.google.com/groups?num=... Google+Search