Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.electronics

Default Doesn't anyone make DVD recorders with a hard disk anymore

I can't find a DVD recorder with a hard disk on Amazon or anywhere. I
want to transfer some of my recordings from my DVR, which is nearly
full. The DVRs and add-ons are tied to the system (at least in
Cablevision). If you move, you have to get a new DVR. I could
transfer to VCR but there's a significant loss of quality. It's just
so convenient having a system where you can choose something to watch
from your armchair, so I'd rather not get a DVD recorder that records
to disk.
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.electronics

Ann wrote:
I can't find a DVD recorder with a hard disk on Amazon or anywhere. I
want to transfer some of my recordings from my DVR, which is nearly
full. The DVRs and add-ons are tied to the system (at least in
Cablevision). If you move, you have to get a new DVR. I could
transfer to VCR but there's a significant loss of quality. It's just
so convenient having a system where you can choose something to watch
from your armchair, so I'd rather not get a DVD recorder that records
to disk.

Perhaps, another advantage to PC based personal video recorders.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.electronics

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 16:36:48 -0800 (PST), Ann
wrote:

I can't find a DVD recorder with a hard disk on Amazon or anywhere. I

P&M

This one is on Amazon and probably elsewhere. Maybe refurbished for
150, or new for 200 or so.

want to transfer some of my recordings from my DVR, which is nearly
full. The DVRs and add-ons are tied to the system (at least in
Cablevision). If you move, you have to get a new DVR. I could
transfer to VCR but there's a significant loss of quality. It's just
so convenient having a system where you can choose something to watch
from your armchair, so I'd rather not get a DVD recorder that records
to disk.

Yes. I think the Philips model was 7576H, and that might be
available used.

Now it's sold new by Magnavox, with one improvement, channel up and
down on the box itself, so it's moderately usable if you can't find
the remote. And the remote has been rearranged and the remotes for
each model are not interchangeable with each other. Otherwise, it
might be exactly the same.

It works well, but has logical flaws. The biggest is that it doesn't
record the show ttile, and after a while, the date, channel, and time
are not enough to remember what it was. In theory they could upgrade
the firmware and I could apply the upgrade, but they don't do that.

It records to HD or to disk and you can then copy from either to the
other. I only recrod to DVD when I'm going to take it to a friend.
Mine will save 160 hours worth of stuff but the magnavox is bigger.
When the HDD failes, it's possible to replace it, though instructions
are not included. If you read the very long thread in AVS-forum
(sp?) for the 7576H, it gives added info, like how to replace HDDs
There may be a thread about the magnavox also.

Mine is 4 years old, I use it all the time, record 4 to 5 hours every
day, and it's working fine.