Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Is cable tv to go digital as well?

An electronics tech said that my mom's old VCR will eventually no
longer work to timer-record her favorite shows while she's gone, because
the cable service provider will begin to send their signal in digital
format instead of the analog signal it currently provides.
I thought the analog-to-digital conversion only applied to
over-the-air broadcasts (to rooftop antennas, etc).
So, is this true?

Posted to alt.electronics

On 17/10/2010 21:21, blowout preventer wrote:
An electronics tech said that my mom's old VCR will eventually no
longer work to timer-record her favorite shows while she's gone, because
the cable service provider will begin to send their signal in digital
format instead of the analog signal it currently provides.
I thought the analog-to-digital conversion only applied to
over-the-air broadcasts (to rooftop antennas, etc).
So, is this true?

Cable in the UK has been digital for years, I've had mine for nearly 10
years and it's always been digital. However the STB outputs an analogue
signal which goes to the VCR and TV and so your mom's VCR should be fine.