Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hypothetical Installtion Of A 2nd Digital Cable Box

Hypothetical Situation:

Let's say a digital cable customer is having problems with her cable
service. Let's say her cable box freezes up and reboots itself
intermittently. Let's say having the cable box replaced by a cable
company technician does not solve the problem.

Hypothetical Next Step:

Let's say Level 3 support at the cable company decides to replace her
standard digital box with an HD box since the HD boxes have more
memory. Perhaps this HD box was mailed to her house and installed by
the customer. Perhaps the HD box came with a return-mail address
label, but without any instructions stating that the standard box had
to be returned.

Hypothetical Questions:

If this hypothetical customer installs the standard box on another TV,
will the cable company know about it? Will it get the nightly updates
from the cable company? Hypothetically speaking, would this be
considered cable theft?

Hypothetically, thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 8:32 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Hypotheticaly, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I recently established new cable service. I told my cable company
that I didn't want or want to pay for digital cable. They supplied me
with three digital cable boxes for free with no monthly charges.
There website said $1.98 per box per month. They did charge me $3 for
each remote control as a one time charge. Maybe I just have a decent
cable company that wants my business?

When I picked up the cable boxes they recorded the media address on
each of the boxes. They put the media addresses in their system and
the boxes won't function if they are not put into their system.

Maybe the cable company won't take your old media address out of their
system and your old box will function indefinitely? Maybe they will
remember to take your old box out of their system and it will stop
functioning?

I am paying $78/month for extended cable programming and Internet
service. I pay AT&T $29/mo for unlimited local and long distant
Internet phone service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oughtsix wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS

I am paying $78/month for extended cable programming and Internet
service. I pay AT&T $29/mo for unlimited local and long distant
Internet phone service.

Interesting. Where are you located and which company is your cable
provider?

Its a lot more expensive here in Portland, OR from Comcast.

$98.56 for high speed internet and 70 channel extended cable (non digital)
with no premium channels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oughtsix wrote:
[...]

Are these promo or actual prices? Around here the programming +
Internet you describe would be $99 and then each digital box is $4.99 +
$0.50 for the remote then anywhere from $15 to ~$40 more for programming
on the digital tiers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 24, 12:13 pm, jJim McLaughlin

Its a lot more expensive here in Portland, OR from Comcast.

$98.56 for high speed internet and 70 channel extended cable
(non digital) with no premium channels.

I get that with 76 channels, plus phone service, for $104 from
Knology. All depends on the contract between your municipality and the
cable provider.

Red

Cable TV and coax splitters - Hookup splitter to Digital Cable JTT Home Repair 1 August 24th 07 03:15 AM
Purchase Digital Cable Box Buck Turgidson Electronics Repair 2 October 4th 06 01:23 PM
Curtain rail installtion Mark UK diy 7 March 8th 06 11:03 PM
How to cable Samsung TV to record digital channels into VCR? PHuile Electronics Repair 2 December 23rd 05 08:12 AM
Digital TV and Cable TV versus Rabbit ear antenna Jacques Carrier Electronics Repair 3 September 20th 04 04:03 PM