Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Small super high capacity battery??

Hello, I have a 12v dc space heater that I use in my truck when I go
on trips. I only use it during the night (average about 6 hrs per 24
hr period). The heater is 300w. I have it hooked up to a separate
sealed12v car battery which means it's drawing 25 amps! This sucks
the battery dead in no time and it's very hard to find a place to
recharge the battery all the time. Does anyone know of a super high
capacity 12v battery that would be better suited for such current
demands? Or a better solution? Motels are out of the question.

Thx
Posted to alt.electronics

hdjim69 wrote:

Hello, I have a 12v dc space heater that I use in my truck when I go
on trips. I only use it during the night (average about 6 hrs per 24
hr period). The heater is 300w. I have it hooked up to a separate
sealed12v car battery which means it's drawing 25 amps! This sucks
the battery dead in no time and it's very hard to find a place to
recharge the battery all the time.

Don't you recharge it from the truck system ?

Does anyone know of a super high
capacity 12v battery that would be better suited for such current
demands? Or a better solution? Motels are out of the question.

Thx

You need to get a "Leisure Battery" Â*this is a secondary battery used in
campers/caravans to supply power. Â*Mine is rated 185 Ah and lasts about
12 hours from full charge, but not at 25 amps ! Â*My average draw is
only about half that. Â*Though the fridge takes a constant 7 amps.
You can get much bigger ones. Â*I've seen 330 Ah for sale.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

Hello, I have a 12v dc space heater that I use in my truck when I go
on trips. I only use it during the night (average about 6 hrs per 24
hr period). The heater is 300w. I have it hooked up to a separate
sealed12v car battery which means it's drawing 25 amps! This sucks
the battery dead in no time and it's very hard to find a place to
recharge the battery all the time. Does anyone know of a super high
capacity 12v battery that would be better suited for such current
demands? Or a better solution? Motels are out of the question.

Thx

How about a small catalytic radiant heater running from a propane
tank?
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

Hello, I have a 12v dc space heater that I use in my truck when I go
on trips. I only use it during the night (average about 6 hrs per 24
hr period). The heater is 300w. I have it hooked up to a separate
sealed12v car battery which means it's drawing 25 amps! This sucks
the battery dead in no time and it's very hard to find a place to
recharge the battery all the time. Does anyone know of a super high
capacity 12v battery that would be better suited for such current
demands? Or a better solution? Motels are out of the question.

Thx

Better idea - adapt a Aladdin kerosene mantle lamp as a heater? I did
that a long time ago as a greenhouse heater - just to keep plants from
freezing at night. I only used the "gallery" and wick with a 3 foot
piece of 1-1/2" thin wall conduit as a chimney. Only cost was a new
wick once a season - I didn't use the mantle the flame burns blue and
it doesn't need venting - produces CO2.

More efficient than burning fuel to make heat to make electricity to
make heat - smaller, lighter and cheaper than a battery. One Aladdin
lamp puts out up to 2,000 BTU's (and the equivalent of 75 watts of
light)

300 watts is about 1,000 BTU. A quart of oil is good for more than 6
hours at the highest setting.

Posted to alt.electronics

"default" wrote in message
I didn't use the mantle the flame burns blue and
it doesn't need venting - produces CO2.

Id hope you do vent it, you wouldnt last long in an unvented space with
anything eating up the oxygen.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:20:15 -0000, "Coyoteboy"
wrote:

"default" wrote in message
.. .
I didn't use the mantle the flame burns blue and
it doesn't need venting - produces CO2.

Id hope you do vent it, you wouldnt last long in an unvented space with
anything eating up the oxygen.

True. Un vented heaters, as a rule, produce far more heat than the
Oxygen consumed so the amount of venting is minimal, the heat would be
uncomfortable before breathing suffered - but in something like a
truck body that is well sealed it would be something to watch.

It wouldn't do to fall asleep without a vent.

I'd crack open a foot vent and leave one window cracked 1/2" or so.