Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Building Shocking Devices

I would like to build a shocking device similar to the prank 'gum' shocker
or the pens that shock you when clicked. This is for my class room
experiment so it should be low power like the gags one can buy from gas
stations. I know how to build a shocker from a set of points from a car
but this has too much power.

How do the trick gum gags work?

Thanks in advance
Greg
Posted to alt.electronics

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:38:22 GMT, Greg wrote:

I would like to build a shocking device similar to the prank 'gum' shocker
or the pens that shock you when clicked. This is for my class room
experiment so it should be low power like the gags one can buy from gas
stations. I know how to build a shocker from a set of points from a car
but this has too much power.

How do the trick gum gags work?

---

LdI
E = -----
dT

--
JF
Posted to alt.electronics

John Fields wrote in
:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:38:22 GMT, Greg wrote:

I would like to build a shocking device similar to the prank 'gum'
shocker or the pens that shock you when clicked. This is for my class
room experiment so it should be low power like the gags one can buy
from gas stations. I know how to build a shocker from a set of points
from a car but this has too much power.

How do the trick gum gags work?

---

LdI
E = -----
dT

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, John wrote:

LdI
E = -----
dT

--------
Sorry, John, I should have mentioned that I'm a physicist, a radiation
physicist to be exact. I have a head full of equations for energy,
induction, current, time, etc. but no practical knowledge of how to
build something to deliver the results of the equation.

Having taken the gum tricks apart, I have been unable to be able figure
out how to build one in the small components used for the pranks. Is
there any place you can direct me on the steps and materials involved in
making one from scratch? Thanks for your input.

Greg
Posted to alt.electronics

Greg wrote:
John Fields wrote in
:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:38:22 GMT, Greg wrote:

I would like to build a shocking device similar to the prank 'gum'
shocker or the pens that shock you when clicked. This is for my class
room experiment so it should be low power like the gags one can buy

from gas stations. I know how to build a shocker from a set of points
from a car but this has too much power.

How do the trick gum gags work?

---

LdI
E = -----
dT

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, John wrote:

LdI
E = -----
dT

--------
Sorry, John, I should have mentioned that I'm a physicist, a radiation
physicist to be exact. I have a head full of equations for energy,
induction, current, time, etc. but no practical knowledge of how to
build something to deliver the results of the equation.

Having taken the gum tricks apart, I have been unable to be able figure
out how to build one in the small components used for the pranks. Is
there any place you can direct me on the steps and materials involved in
making one from scratch? Thanks for your input.

Greg

How about a piezo ignitor such as the kind in bar-b-q grills?
(Press the button and get a spark).
Posted to alt.electronics

Greg wrote:
I would like to build a shocking device similar to the prank 'gum' shocker
[...]How do the trick gum gags work?

Here's the one I had as a kid:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...ulated+jiggled
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...6?dmode=source

If you used an oscillator/buffer, you'd have to use a flywheel diode
to make sure the active device didn't get killed.

Posted to alt.electronics

There is a book (101 spy gadgets for the evil genius) that gives
instructions on building a shocking device from a disposable camera. It
works quite well and the power of the shock depends on the voltage
input. The book should be available from Amazon.

Posted to alt.electronics

"Greg" wrote in message
0...
John Fields wrote in
:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:38:22 GMT, Greg wrote:

I would like to build a shocking device similar to the prank 'gum'
shocker or the pens that shock you when clicked. This is for my class
room experiment so it should be low power like the gags one can buy
from gas stations. I know how to build a shocker from a set of points
from a car but this has too much power.

How do the trick gum gags work?

---

LdI
E = -----
dT

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, John wrote:

LdI
E = -----
dT

--------
Sorry, John, I should have mentioned that I'm a physicist, a radiation
physicist to be exact. I have a head full of equations for energy,
induction, current, time, etc. but no practical knowledge of how to
build something to deliver the results of the equation.

Having taken the gum tricks apart, I have been unable to be able figure
out how to build one in the small components used for the pranks. Is
there any place you can direct me on the steps and materials involved in
making one from scratch? Thanks for your input.

Greg

Sorry Greg, but there is no such thing as a Radiation Physicist. Care to
expand?

west

Posted to alt.electronics

Frank wrote:
you mindless twit

....say the moron who top-posts
and uses Outlook Express without configuring it to mark blockquotes.

Shocking Shower Stormin Mormon Home Repair 44 June 15th 07 09:27 PM
shocking well Balderdash Home Repair 3 January 12th 07 05:41 PM
Coliform re-occurence after shocking sting7777 Home Repair 3 August 18th 06 04:15 PM
Well shocking -- decontaminate [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 10th 06 04:32 AM
"Country's Most Shocking" on CMT Len McDougall, Outdoor Writer Home Ownership 2 September 16th 04 10:10 PM