Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shocking well

I have a high concentration of sulphur reducing bacteria and iron
reducing bacteria in my well. I used a bottle of javex to shock it
last time and it didnt' do much for the smell. Can I shock a well with
chlorine instead ? Would that work better at killing the bacteria ?
Is chlorine much stronger then javex ?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Balderdash" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a high concentration of sulphur reducing bacteria and iron
reducing bacteria in my well. I used a bottle of javex to shock it
last time and it didnt' do much for the smell. Can I shock a well with
chlorine instead ? Would that work better at killing the bacteria ?
Is chlorine much stronger then javex ?
Thanks.

I don't know much about it, except that you want to keep bleach away from
your pump.

You will get used to the smell. Well, I did; my wife still hasn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is chlorine much stronger then javex ?

I don't know anything about wells but I know this about chlorine:
Bleach is sodium hypochlorite, regular household bleach is around 5.25%
available chlorine, the stuff you get at the pool store is the same
ingredient but stronger at maybe 10 to 12% available chlorine. Calcium
hypochlorite from the pool store is about 65% to 75% available chlorine
per weight, lithium hypo is about 35%, and those chlorine pucks, aka
trichlor, are 45.76% available chlorine per weight (yes the label says
90% but). The stabilized granular chorine, aka dichlor, is 32.24%
available chlorine per weight (yes the label says 64% but.)

Sorry I can't help you with your well, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jan 2007 15:06:40 -0800, "Balderdash"
wrote:

I have a high concentration of sulphur reducing bacteria and iron
reducing bacteria in my well. I used a bottle of javex to shock it
last time and it didnt' do much for the smell. Can I shock a well with
chlorine instead ? Would that work better at killing the bacteria ?
Is chlorine much stronger then javex ?
Thanks.

Isn't the normal solution to that problem putting in a iron-removal
reverse osmosis system? Shocking a well is for dealing with
contaminants, not something that likely inhabits the entire aquifer.