Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Beginner: Best Place for Bulk Components?

I'm just getting started in electronics, and am hoping to get into
experimenting with some components as inexpensively as possible. I've
already purchased a multimeter and a protoboard. Now I'm looking for a
cheap source for bulk resistors, capacitors, diodes, and that sort of thing
so that I can get myself covered for the basics. Is there any
recommendation on where to go for these components?

Posted to alt.electronics

news.verizon.net wrote:
I'm just getting started in electronics,
and am hoping to get into experimenting[...]
I'm looking for a cheap source for bulk resistors, capacitors,
diodes, and that sort of thing

Get some catalogs and see what folks currently have:
http://www.google.com/search?q=all-e...paypal&num=100

Mostly this is done thru ebay these days.

Posted to alt.electronics

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message
I'm just getting started in electronics, and am hoping to get into
experimenting with some components as inexpensively as possible. I've
already purchased a multimeter and a protoboard. Now I'm looking for
a cheap source for bulk resistors, capacitors, diodes, and that sort
of thing so that I can get myself covered for the basics. Is there
any recommendation on where to go for these components?

It might help for you to tell us where you are when you ask something
like this.

--
James T. White

Posted to alt.electronics

JeffM wrote:
Get some catalogs and see what folks currently have:
http://www.google.com/search?q=all-e...paypal&num=100

Mostly this is done thru ebay these days.

news.verizon.net wrote via email:
So far I've gotten catalogs from Mouser, Allied and Digikey...
looks like there are many more companies to request catalogs from.
Most of the prices seem to be similar.

Netiquette says
"Reply to Usenet posts IN THE GROUP so that EVERYONE can see it."
--NOT via email such that things become private communications.

Have people had better service from one company in particular...
faster shipping or better returns in the event of problems
or anything like that?

The companies I referenced are *surplus* outlets.
If you are looking to pay full price for nicely sorted lots,
they're about the same.

If you are looking for a part with specific parameters,
Digi-Key's is the best vendor's search engine.

Posted to alt.electronics

news.verizon.net wrote:
I'm in the Seattle area. I had figured most people get their components
through mail order, are brick and mortar stores the more common source?

"James T. White" wrote in message
"news.verizon.net" wrote in message
I'm just getting started in electronics, and am hoping to get into
experimenting with some components as inexpensively as possible. I've
already purchased a multimeter and a protoboard. Now I'm looking for
a cheap source for bulk resistors, capacitors, diodes, and that sort
of thing so that I can get myself covered for the basics. Is there
any recommendation on where to go for these components?

It might help for you to tell us where you are when you ask something
like this.

--
James T. White

Yes but folks here are all over the world, not just the US, or do you
want to import resistors from europe for instance???

we do exist out here
Posted to alt.electronics

Where I'm located in NW Arkansas, the only B&M is radio shack, and
they're basically a cell phone dealer anymore. For variety packs, try
BGMicro.com. Here is their resistor variety pack:

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=9464

Usually they have what I need, and the prices are good.

charles

news.verizon.net wrote:
I'm in the Seattle area. I had figured most people get their components
through mail order, are brick and mortar stores the more common source?

"James T. White" wrote in message

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message

I'm just getting started in electronics, and am hoping to get into
experimenting with some components as inexpensively as possible. I've
already purchased a multimeter and a protoboard. Now I'm looking for
a cheap source for bulk resistors, capacitors, diodes, and that sort
of thing so that I can get myself covered for the basics. Is there
any recommendation on where to go for these components?

It might help for you to tell us where you are when you ask something
like this.

--
James T. White

Posted to alt.electronics

try mouser.com pretty cheap and can buy without minimums

Weight of Bulk Goods Mike Home Repair 7 December 20th 06 05:40 PM
bulk material needs Lawrence Home Repair 1 May 21st 06 08:36 PM
Where to get bulk-bags on their own? Connor T UK diy 9 September 24th 05 11:00 AM
FS: Bulk Electronic components Mitch Katz Electronics 0 May 16th 04 01:38 PM
Bulk purchase of sandpaper Don Sannella UK diy 8 October 31st 03 04:31 PM