Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Low Power Outdoor Electronic Signs

Hi,

Hey, I have a project that requires an outdoor sign like those
radar signs that show you how fast you're going.

So, it will have to be solar powered and
the power budget will be TIGHT.

Unlike the radar signs, my sign needs to be on all of the time,
so I am thinking LEDs are out.

I am doubting LCDs would be able to handle the temperature extremes.

Might those magnetic "chicklet" signs work?
- Who sells these, anyway?
(Googling hasn't been kind to me about this...)

Any other ideas about what low power approach would be good?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted to alt.electronics

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 23:17:43 -0700, Dan wrote:

Hi,

Hey, I have a project that requires an outdoor sign like those
radar signs that show you how fast you're going.

So, it will have to be solar powered and
the power budget will be TIGHT.

Unlike the radar signs, my sign needs to be on all of the time,
so I am thinking LEDs are out.

I am doubting LCDs would be able to handle the temperature extremes.

Might those magnetic "chicklet" signs work?
- Who sells these, anyway?
(Googling hasn't been kind to me about this...)

Any other ideas about what low power approach would be good?

Thanks,

Dan

Can the message be (relatively) static?

How big does it need to be?
Posted to alt.electronics

Can the message be (relatively) static?

How big does it need to be?

Pete,

Maybe updates once per minute.

Something on the order of 8".

An ideas?

Thx,

Dan

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 23:17:43 -0700, Dan wrote:

Hi,

Hey, I have a project that requires an outdoor sign like those
radar signs that show you how fast you're going.

So, it will have to be solar powered and
the power budget will be TIGHT.

Unlike the radar signs, my sign needs to be on all of the time,
so I am thinking LEDs are out.

I am doubting LCDs would be able to handle the temperature extremes.

Might those magnetic "chicklet" signs work?
- Who sells these, anyway?
(Googling hasn't been kind to me about this...)

Any other ideas about what low power approach would be good?

Thanks,

Dan

Can the message be (relatively) static?

How big does it need to be?

Posted to alt.electronics

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 19:19:46 -0700, Dan wrote:

Can the message be (relatively) static?

How big does it need to be?

Pete,

Maybe updates once per minute.

Something on the order of 8".

An ideas?

Thx,

Dan

OK, one more stupid question, how many pixels do you need?