Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
kirkm

Default Assistance requested

Hi ,

While not a complete newbie it's been many years since I did any
construction. The project I'm attempting is detailed at

http://xedox.de/mac.html

Before I start I'm having trouble just understanding what's what.

The terms VSS, VGG, VDD - what do they mean?

Pins 3 and 13 on the 4098 have a peculiar symbol I've never seen
before. I'm not sure where they're connected.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks - Kirk
Posted to alt.electronics
Hlrsr

In the schematic when it says 16 = VDD and 8 = VGG it means the power pins.
For example for the 4098 IC pin 16 is VDD power and VGG is the Ground. The
same goes for the other ICs.

Regards
GM

PS: Sorry for my English

"kirkm" wrote in message
Hi ,

While not a complete newbie it's been many years since I did any
construction. The project I'm attempting is detailed at

http://xedox.de/mac.html

Before I start I'm having trouble just understanding what's what.

The terms VSS, VGG, VDD - what do they mean?

Pins 3 and 13 on the 4098 have a peculiar symbol I've never seen
before. I'm not sure where they're connected.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks - Kirk

Posted to alt.electronics
kirkm

Hi GM,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I can assume VSS also is Ground?
No problem with English... you're not German are you? I'm trying to
translate "beim 4053 muss der CS Eingang auf Masse gelegt werden"
One theory is "with 4053 the CS entrance on mass must be put" but
I'm still in the dark !

Cheers - Kirk

On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:22:58 +0300, "Hlrsr"
wrote:

In the schematic when it says 16 = VDD and 8 = VGG it means the power pins.
For example for the 4098 IC pin 16 is VDD power and VGG is the Ground. The
same goes for the other ICs.

Regards
GM

PS: Sorry for my English

"kirkm" wrote in message
.. .
Hi ,

While not a complete newbie it's been many years since I did any
construction. The project I'm attempting is detailed at

http://xedox.de/mac.html

Before I start I'm having trouble just understanding what's what.

The terms VSS, VGG, VDD - what do they mean?

Pins 3 and 13 on the 4098 have a peculiar symbol I've never seen
before. I'm not sure where they're connected.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks - Kirk

Posted to alt.electronics
default

On Wed, 24 May 2006 17:00:24 +1200, kirkm
wrote:

Hi ,

While not a complete newbie it's been many years since I did any
construction. The project I'm attempting is detailed at

http://xedox.de/mac.html

Before I start I'm having trouble just understanding what's what.

The terms VSS, VGG, VDD - what do they mean?

Pins 3 and 13 on the 4098 have a peculiar symbol I've never seen
before. I'm not sure where they're connected.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks - Kirk

It looks like the author may have intended to show the analog and
digital grounds separately with different symbols.

The Vss is Voltage "source" in an N channel mosfet (the parts in
question). Current flow is from negative to positive. Vdd is for the
mosfet "drain" or positive.

Similar to the convention of using Vcc as Voltage collector current in
NPN bipolar parts.

Posted to alt.electronics
Peter

"kirkm" wrote

wrote:

In the schematic when it says 16 = VDD and 8 = VGG it means the power
pins.
For example for the 4098 IC pin 16 is VDD power and VGG is the Ground. The
same goes for the other ICs.

Regards
GM

PS: Sorry for my English

"kirkm" wrote in message
. ..
Hi ,

While not a complete newbie it's been many years since I did any
construction. The project I'm attempting is detailed at

http://xedox.de/mac.html

Before I start I'm having trouble just understanding what's what.

The terms VSS, VGG, VDD - what do they mean?

Pins 3 and 13 on the 4098 have a peculiar symbol I've never seen
before. I'm not sure where they're connected.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks - Kirk

Hi Kirk,
The correct translation for "beim 4053 muss der CS Eingang auf Masse gelegt
werden" is
"On the 4053 the CS input must be connected to ground"
Hope that that was helpfull.
Regards,
Peter

Posted to alt.electronics
kirkm

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Much appreciated - I'm streets ahead but still
fully expect smoke when the power is applied !

I'm told the junction of 270 and 39 ohm resistors in the
output stage should be connexted to +12 and this isn't shown on the
diagram.

Peter - the translation did help - although I don't know what 'CS
input' is - yet !

Thanks again guys,
Cheers - Kirk
Posted to alt.electronics
Peter

"kirkm" schreef in bericht
news
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Much appreciated - I'm streets ahead but still
fully expect smoke when the power is applied !

I'm told the junction of 270 and 39 ohm resistors in the
output stage should be connexted to +12 and this isn't shown on the
diagram.

Peter - the translation did help - although I don't know what 'CS
input' is - yet !

Thanks again guys,
Cheers - Kirk
Hi Kirk,

The CS input is pin 9 .
With this digital signal you control wich of the 2 Z analogue in/outputs is
switched to the common out/input.
Because this section of the ic is not used it is best to ground this control
input.
Regards,
Peter

Posted to alt.electronics
kirkm

On Fri, 26 May 2006 10:10:37 +0200, "Peter" * wrote:

The CS input is pin 9 .
With this digital signal you control wich of the 2 Z analogue in/outputs is
switched to the common out/input.
Because this section of the ic is not used it is best to ground this control
input.

Hi Peter,

Am I correct - a grounded pin should be connected via a 10k - 100k
resistor (for CMOS devices) ? And wth the 4053 this would apply to
pins 9, 5 and 1 ? And possibly, pin7 on the LM1881 ?

Thanks - Kirk
Posted to alt.electronics
Peter

"kirkm" schreef in bericht
On Fri, 26 May 2006 10:10:37 +0200, "Peter" * wrote:

The CS input is pin 9 .
With this digital signal you control wich of the 2 Z analogue in/outputs
is
switched to the common out/input.
Because this section of the ic is not used it is best to ground this
control
input.

Hi Peter,

Am I correct - a grounded pin should be connected via a 10k - 100k
resistor (for CMOS devices) ? And wth the 4053 this would apply to
pins 9, 5 and 1 ? And possibly, pin7 on the LM1881 ?

Thanks - Kirk

Hi Kirk,
Just ground the sucker donīt bother with a resistor.
Pins 5 and 1 you can leave open because the are the in/outputs of the
analogue switch.
Regards,
Peter