Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
Coyoteboy

Default PWM FLAT DC

I'm looking to use the PWM outputs from my IC to produce an analogue value
using an RC network. Unfortunately everywhere I've found in searching only
gives calculations for if i want analogue waveforms, not flat constant (as
possible) outputs. Is this going to be a trial and error thing where RC
sizes are systematically swapped or is there a known method of
approximating? I can alter my PWM frequency (and obviously duty) as needed.

Cheers

Posted to alt.electronics
Jasen Betts

On 2006-04-11, Coyoteboy wrote:
I'm looking to use the PWM outputs from my IC to produce an analogue value
using an RC network. Unfortunately everywhere I've found in searching only
gives calculations for if i want analogue waveforms, not flat constant (as
possible) outputs. Is this going to be a trial and error thing where RC
sizes are systematically swapped or is there a known method of
approximating? I can alter my PWM frequency (and obviously duty) as needed.

DC is just extremely low frequency AC...

you won't get flat DC with an RC network. but you can get arbitrarily low
ripple. how low do you need it and what settling time can you accept when
changing levels...

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics
Coyoteboy

DC is just extremely low frequency AC...

You have a point

you won't get flat DC with an RC network. but you can get arbitrarily low
ripple. how low do you need it and what settling time can you accept when
changing levels...

I will give you more of an idea on the work - I'm replacing the pots in a
radio control transmitter with a microprocessor so i can interface with a PC
(instead of making a custom Tx which is beyond me and more expensive). I'm
not sure on the minimum ripple (dont want the servos twitching really but
I'd hope to have approximately 100 possible throttle 'positions', the pot
will produce infinitely variable output i know but the servos dont have
infinitely variable positions IIRC. Either way it wont matter if the servos
'twitch' a tiny amount, so long as the response time isnt too slow. Response
time - somewhere 20ms. I can investigate further- unfortunately my analogue
circuit knowledge is poor (im trying to learn!) but my microprocessor side
is OK :-)

Thanks for your help!
James

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:43:01 +0100, "Coyoteboy"
wrote:

I will give you more of an idea on the work - I'm replacing the pots in a
radio control transmitter with a microprocessor so i can interface with a PC
(instead of making a custom Tx which is beyond me and more expensive). I'm
not sure on the minimum ripple (dont want the servos twitching really but
I'd hope to have approximately 100 possible throttle 'positions', the pot
will produce infinitely variable output i know but the servos dont have
infinitely variable positions IIRC. Either way it wont matter if the servos
'twitch' a tiny amount, so long as the response time isnt too slow. Response
time - somewhere 20ms. I can investigate further- unfortunately my analogue
circuit knowledge is poor (im trying to learn!) but my microprocessor side
is OK :-)

---
Why don't you replace the pots with digital pots driven bu your µC?

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics
Coyoteboy

John Fields wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:43:01 +0100, "Coyoteboy"

---
Why don't you replace the pots with digital pots driven bu your µC?

John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Until about 30 seconds ago i wasnt aware you could get them, and Ive
not priced them up. Or what the interface requirements are. But I will
look into it as a possibility!

Ta

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

http://www.maxim-ic.com/DigitalPotentiometers.cfm

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On 13 Apr 2006 02:59:36 -0700, "Coyoteboy"
wrote:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/DigitalPotentiometers.cfm
--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Cracknig, cheers - they look great, and i should be able to run two of
those off once uPro as well when ive figured out the input command
signals. Thanks for the link.

---
You're welcome. Glad to be able to help. :-)