Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
Henry

Default Another question

Sorry that I am being such an annoyance, but I have another question. I dont
want anyone to go through the trouble of providing an entire circuit. In
fact I want to do it myself. I just wanted to be pointed in the right
directions. What parts do I research, etc.

Anyway, here is the problem. I want to electronically trigger a photo flash
of unknown trigger voltage. The flash provides the voltage. The circuit
simply needs closed to fire the flash. But here is the trick. Photo flashes,
especially older ones, have a wide range of trigger circuit voltages. At the
low end it could be only 3.5v. On the high end it could be 300v. I have 3
flash units. (3.5v, 15v, and 55v) Although I read that there are a few old
units that go 100v and higher. Much above 5v can be death to a modern
electronic camera. So I want to make a circuit such that I can use any of
mine, and maybe other, flash unit with a electronic camera. (Either mine or
a friend's.)

So, what kinds of componets do I research that can give me the ability to
trigger a flash with a range of 3.5 to, say, 100v? I have done a search and
found high voltage transistors that can handle 200v (collector to emitter)
but still only need 5v at the base. Someone has mentioned looking into
something called an SCR. That same person suggested an opto-isolator for
best possible protection of the camera. What about a voltage regulator? (I
might be using someone else's $1000+ digital camera, so I want to be extra
carefull. Last thing I want to do is to return to them a fried camera.)

I have found sites discussing the theory of some of these components, but
they dont really give the practicle trade-offs as to when you might want to
use one verses another. Again, I am not looking for an exact circuit, just
an idea what to best spend my energy researching.

Thanks in advance,
Henry

Posted to alt.electronics
Dan Hollands

"Henry" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Use an optical isolator

See http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/1570-1571.pdf

choose one with Vceo greater than 200V

It isolates your trigger signal from the flash and if you connect the plus
wire from the flash to the collector and the minus wire from the flash to
the emitter it should act like a switch which closes when you put current
thru the optocal isolator diode

Dan

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

www.QuickScoreRace.com

Posted to alt.electronics
Henry

"Dan Hollands" wrote in message
"Henry" wrote in message
om...
[...]

That simple huh? ANd I was getting ready for this complex circuit.

Thanks,
Henry

Posted to alt.electronics
deadcarnahans

Decide which voltage flash unit you would like to use first. Then go from
there.

Posted to alt.electronics
JeffM

deadcarnahans wrote:
Decide which voltage flash unit you would like to use first.
Then go from there.

Looking at your lack of context over several posts,
I would have sworn you were a newbie posting from Google Groups
--nope--you're just a newbie who is otherwise unschooled.

FYI:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8...give-a-context

Posted to alt.electronics
Henry

"JeffM" wrote in message
oups.com...
deadcarnahans wrote:
Decide which voltage flash unit you would like to use first.
Then go from there.

Looking at your lack of context over several posts,
I would have sworn you were a newbie posting from Google Groups
--nope--you're just a newbie who is otherwise unschooled.

FYI:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8...give-a-context

Not at all. Just a person who is doing too many projects than I have time
and resources for.

Henry

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM