Electronics (alt.electronics)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
tom

Default multimeter that has a transistor test socket for hfe testing

I just bought a multimeter that has a transistor test socket for hfe
testing. My PNP transistors it says are 180 or so, and that sounds right,
assuming it's some kind of 'gain' measurement. But all of NPN transistors
it says have values of 1 or 2, or in case, 3. I'm sure I'm putting the
right pins in the right holes, I still have the pinout diagrams that came
with the transistors, so there's no mistake there, and the holes are clearly
marked on the multimeter... When I check the NPN ones that the hfe tester
says have an hfe value of 1 or 2, they all have normally biased junctions
when tested with the old 'pretend its a diode' method. So I dont know what
to make of this. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

--
73
Tom