Geoff

Default Help with replacing barrel plug on AC power tranformer?

Hi. I've got a tranformer that lost its barrel plug, and I'd like to
solder a new one on. I'm fairly knowledgable about audio applications, but
mostly clueless about electronics.

This transformer has an input of 120V and and output of 9VAC, 1200 mA.
Does polarity matter? I mean, is it important that I connect the right
wire from the transformer to the right lead on the plug?

One of the transformer's output wires is white, and the other is beige. On
the replacement plug, one wire is solid black, and the other is black with
a grey stripe. I'm unfamiliar with any standards that this information
might communicate.

TIA.

--Geoff
Jerry G.

If it is AC on its output, there will be no damage if the outputs are
reversed. But, normally one side is related to the return reference, and in
some types of equipment, this may introduce some noise. If this was a DC
output, the polarity is extremely important to respect.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Geoff" wrote in message
33.114...
Hi. I've got a tranformer that lost its barrel plug, and I'd like to
solder a new one on. I'm fairly knowledgable about audio applications, but
mostly clueless about electronics.

This transformer has an input of 120V and and output of 9VAC, 1200 mA.
Does polarity matter? I mean, is it important that I connect the right
wire from the transformer to the right lead on the plug?

One of the transformer's output wires is white, and the other is beige. On
the replacement plug, one wire is solid black, and the other is black with
a grey stripe. I'm unfamiliar with any standards that this information
might communicate.

TIA.

--Geoff

Glynn R.

Since it outputs AC, polarity at the barrel plug should be pretty
irrelevant. Each side is supposed to be carrying equivalent electrical
waveforms, and it doesn't even matter if they aren't! Whatever this
feeds is going to sort it out anyway by means of an internal diode
network/bridge.

Worry not.

Geoff

Excellent, that's nice to hear. If you're curious, this feeds a heavy-duty
stomp box that I plug my electric cello into. Normal audio signal goes in,
totally weird-n-crazy audio comes out.

"Glynn R." wrote in news:1111445291.484409.218050
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Since it outputs AC, polarity at the barrel plug should be pretty
irrelevant. Each side is supposed to be carrying equivalent electrical
waveforms, and it doesn't even matter if they aren't! Whatever this
feeds is going to sort it out anyway by means of an internal diode
network/bridge.

Worry not.

Underground wiring questions... guest987 Home Repair 52 February 2nd 05 01:52 AM
Making custom power connectors Rick Metalworking 17 January 1st 05 06:15 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
Switching Power Supply Failure W. Curtiss Priest Home Repair 0 October 6th 03 03:43 PM