RemoGaggi

Default Troubleshooting Integrated Amp

I just got a used NAD 3155 Integrated Amplifier. It has a main in and a pre
out so it can also be used separately as a power amp or a preamp. When I
use it as an intergrated amp, there is no output. If I turn the volume to
max, I can hear the music very faintly. The same occurs when I plug in
some headphones in. But, when I use a separate preamp and use the NAD as
a power amp, it works fine. It appears to me that the problem is with the
preamp section of the unit. There is only one fuse in the unit and it is
fine. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what the problem might be?
Thanks.

CJT

RemoGaggi wrote:
I just got a used NAD 3155 Integrated Amplifier. It has a main in and a pre
out so it can also be used separately as a power amp or a preamp. When I
use it as an intergrated amp, there is no output. If I turn the volume to
max, I can hear the music very faintly. The same occurs when I plug in
some headphones in. But, when I use a separate preamp and use the NAD as
a power amp, it works fine. It appears to me that the problem is with the
preamp section of the unit. There is only one fuse in the unit and it is
fine. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what the problem might be?
Thanks.

It sounds to me like it's a problem in the switching. Are you sure you
don't have it on tape monitor or something?

RemoGaggi:
Make certain that a "Tape Monitor" or "Adapter" switch is not left on.
Also try another set of RCA/RCA jumpers from the PREAMP OUT to the
MAIN AMP IN jacks (Left & Right Channels) If there is a set of adapter
or equilizer input/output jacks make certain that they are jumpered.
electricitym
- - - - - - -

RemoGaggi wrote:
I just got a used NAD 3155 Integrated Amplifier. It has a main in and

a pre
out so it can also be used separately as a power amp or a preamp.

When I
use it as an intergrated amp, there is no output. If I turn the

volume to
max, I can hear the music very faintly. The same occurs when I plug

in
some headphones in. But, when I use a separate preamp and use the

NAD as
a power amp, it works fine. It appears to me that the problem is

with the
preamp section of the unit. There is only one fuse in the unit and it

is
fine. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what the problem might be?
Thanks.

RemoGaggi

The preamp out and main in on the back panel are not "jumped". In this type
of amp, are they normally jumped? Maybe this is the problem?

RemoGaggi

Thanks electricity, It was missing the jumpers. Thanks for you help!

Asimov

"RemoGaggi" bravely wrote to "All" (18 Mar 05 01:22:28)
--- on the heady topic of " Troubleshooting Integrated Amp"

Re From: "RemoGaggi"
Re Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:43341

Re The preamp out and main in on the back panel are not "jumped". In this
Re type of amp, are they normally jumped? Maybe this is the problem?

Geez, I was going to reply that for the 1,001th time!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... A stereo system is the altar to the god of music.

jakdedert

RemoGaggi wrote:
Thanks electricity, It was missing the jumpers. Thanks for you help!

You can either use a set of short RCA patch cables or fab your own jumpers
with a couple of pieces of 10 gauge solid bare wire....

jak